100 years of architecture
W. Carl Wimberly Hall (1974) ... formerly North Hall, the building houses instructional and administrative facilities for the departments of English, history, political science/public administration, sociology/ archaeology and women’s studies as well as the departments of accountancy, economics, finance, management and marketing in the College of Business Administration.
Cowley Hall of Science (1965, 1969, 1970) ... houses the River Studies Center and departments of biology, chemistry, geography/earth science, mathematics, microbiology and physics. In addition to classrooms and laboratories, the building has research facilities, a greenhouse and a planetarium.
Wittich Hall (1916) ... the original physical education building, contains gymnasia, a weight training room, a swimming pool, and offices. It was listed in the National Register of Historical Places April 11, 1985.
The Center for the Arts (1973) ... houses art, communication studies, music, and theatre arts department offices, classrooms, rehearsal rooms, art studios and theatre facilities. The building also houses the University Art Gallery, Toland Theatre and Annett Recital Hall.
Reuter Hall (2006) ... the newest and most modern residence hall on campus, featuring a 380-bed, suite-style layout. It replaced the original Reuter Hall which was one of the oldest residence halls (built in 1957) and the university’s first all-male hall. Eppstein Uhen Architects of Milwaukee received an Excellence in Architectural Design Award for the project.
Cleary Alumni & Friends Center (1994, 1995) ... serves as a welcoming center and is designated for multiple use by alumni, faculty, students, parents and community. The building includes a university-wide information center, a conference center, exhibit areas, meeting rooms, social programming areas, special university guest rooms, telemarketing center, reference library and offices. The center was built by the UW-L Foundation with contributions from alumni and friends. It is named for Russell and Gail Cleary, alumni who made a generous financial contribution to the building.
Graff Main Hall (1909) ... the original building on campus, remodeled in 1980, contains offices of the chancellor and administrative staff, a 787-seat auditorium, classrooms, and specialized instruction areas for psychology, school psychology, modern languages and philosophy. It was designated a historic site by the city of La Crosse in 1984 as part of the university’s 75th anniversary and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places March 14, 1985.
Mitchell Hall (1965, 1971) ... houses the departments of exercise and sport science and health education and health promotion, and intercollegiate athletics. Facilities include a swimming pool, three basketball courts, wrestling room, dance studio, racquetball courts, and a 3,800 square foot strength training room. The field house provides an eighth-mile track, broad jump pit, and nets for tennis and volleyball. A human performance laboratory, athletic training/sports medicine area, resource and learning centers, and computer lab are also in the building.
Thomas Morris Hall (1939, 1966) ... remodeled in 1996, the hall is home to the College of Liberal Studies, educational studies department and the Continuing Education and Extension Office. The building is home to the newly remodeled Frederick Theatre and a distance education classroom.
Murphy Library Resource Center (1969, 1995) ... contains over 550,000 volumes in open stack collections. Additional holdings include the university archives, rare books, oral histories, photo collections, books on Wisconsin history, and a regional depository for State Historical Society records.