UW-L Career Services
WI College/University Sponsored
|Other General Fairs||Teacher Job Fairs|
Quick Tips for Attending Job Fairs
- Professional attire is always encouraged.
- Greet employers with a smile and a firm handshake. Don’t cruise the fair with a group of friends; make a positive impression by talking with employers on your own.
- Take copies of your updated resume. Some employers may collect them; others will not. Some may ask you questions and make note of your responses on your resume. Some employers will conduct “mini-interviews” at their table, others may conduct more formal interviews at another location at the expo. Be prepared for any of these circumstances.
- A little preparation goes a long way:
- Be ready with a quick (no more than 30 seconds) introduction that you can give employers, including your name, major, career interests and a summary of your relevant experience.
- Prepare a few questions in advance that you can ask about their organization and types of positions available. See the list below for suggestions.
- Prioritize your list of employers to make good use of your time. For UW-L career fairs, a list of registered employers is available on the Career Services home page and will also be available at the event.
- Some employers may leave early to get to their next recruiting event or to get back home. Don't wait until the end of the fair to see the employers you are most interested.
- Ask for a business card from employers. This will make your follow-up with them much easier.
Wondering What to Ask Employers at a Fair? Try These Suggestions
- What are the entry-level positions at your organization?
- What skills/majors are you seeking?
- Does your organization offer internships?
- What personal characteristics are required to succeed in your organization? (Find out what variables can make the difference between being hired and not being hired.)
- Tell me about your career path and why
you like working for this organization.
Some of the fairs listed on these links are open only to the students who attend the sponsoring university. Please be sure to check the attendance policy for any fair prior to attending it. The staff of Career Services cannot guarantee the claims or information presented about these fairs. This is not a comprehensive list.
Minnesota State Universities Job and Internship Fair 2013
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Minneapolis Convention Center
Exhibit Hall A (Lower Level)
Fairs Outside of Wisconsin