2013 Suicide Prevention Summit
Awareness Event | Sept. 17, 6-7:30 p.m. | Riverside Park
Conference | Sept. 18, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. | La Crosse Center
RAISING AWARENESS AND HOPE IN THE COMMUNITY
Increase your understanding of suicide, its prevalence and the risk factors for specific populations, and acquire tools for prevention, assessment and intervention.
Summit Registration (Sept. 18, 8:30 am-5 pm), includes full conference, refreshments, lunch, materials and continuing education hours
- (Registration begins at 7:30 a.m.)
Summit Location: La Crosse Center |
South Hall | 300 Harborview Plaza
Awareness Event: Riverside Park
Who Should Attend:
- Social workers and counselors
- School guidance counselors
- Clergy and pastoral care
- Law enforcement officials
- Medical assistants
- Youth leaders
- Student service personnel
- Interested/affected community members
The QPR prevention tools will be taught throughout the
• Question • Persuade • Refer
- The Opportunities and Challenges of Suicide Prevention - Morton M. Silverman, M.D.
- QPR – Question, Persuade, Refer: Suicide Prevention Training - Christine Hughs, LCSW
- How Chronic Pain can Lead to Hopelessness - Lisa Howell, Ph. D.
- Returning Combat Soldiers - Norb Laufenberg MSSW, ACSW, LICSW, LCSW
- Facts & Fiction on Self-Injury - Jennifer Muehlenkamp, Ph. D.
- Men & Suicide: How Avoiding Vulnerability Makes Us Vulnerable - Ryan McKelly, Ph.D., LP, HSP
- Youth Suicide Prevention: What Works and What Doesn’t Work - Dr. Morton Silverman, M.D.
- How Substance Use and Suicide get Inter-twined - Ronda Lettner, RN, LMFT, CSAC
- Bullying and Suicide: Real or Media Hype? - Jeff Reiland, MS, CPT-S, CSAC
- After a Suicide, Honoring Loss and Healing Together - Sally Spenser Thomas, Psy. D.
- Impact of Suicide on Family Members: A Panel Discussion
- Historical Trauma and Suicide - Elizabeth Digby-Britten, ME PD
- Treating Suicide: The Collaborative Assessment and Management of Suicide (CAMS) - Jennifer Muehlenkamp, Ph. D.
- Up on the High Wire: Mental Resiliency and Suicide
Prevention - Sally Spencer-Thomas, Psy.D.
For more information and to register: Continuing Education, 608.785.6504 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The La Crosse Area Suicide Prevention Initiative brings service providers, consumers, and community members together to raise awareness about suicide as a preventable community and public health problem. The Initiative meets monthly to discuss needs, share information, and plan awareness events. Everyone is welcome, including survivors and family members, counselors and therapists, health care providers, educators, and others who want to make a difference. www.lacrossesuicideprevention.org
UW-La Crosse Continuing Education and Extension provides professional development opportunities and program services to western Wisconsin.
2013 Suicide Prevention Summit Sponsors
La Crosse County
2013 Suicide Prevention Summit Planning Committee Members
Nikki Balsamo, Viterbo University
Tim Blumentritt, B.S.W., Mayo Clinic Health System
Henry Greengrass, Ho Chunk Nation Youth Services
Vicky Gunderson, Community Participant and Parent Advocate
Jeannie Hanley, Ed.D, UW-La Crosse Student Affairs Administration
Christine Hughes, M.S.W, Mayo Clinic Health System
Mike Knapp, LCSW, VA Medical Center, Tomah
Geri Mulliner, R.N., Gundersen Health System Behavioral Health
Susan Niedzwiecki-Pham, M.S. Ed., UW-La Crosse Continuing Education and Extension
Robyn Ludlum, La Crosse County Human Services
Matthew R. Poje, M.A., L.P.C., Logistics Health Inc.
Jenny Root, B.S., CIRS, Great Rivers 211
Lindsey Severson, COTA, Community Member
Judy Shoults, Community Member, Mental Health Coalition Board
Laura Lee Stigen, Community member