University of Wisconsin-La Crosse |

Disability Resource Services
Expand menu

  • FAQ

    What is Disability Resource Services?

    The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is committed to providing equal educational opportunities for all students. Students who have disabilities are offered a variety of services to ensure that both facilities and programs on our campus are accessible. Disability Resource Services (DRS) assists students in obtaining reasonable academic accommodations at the university.

    Who can use Disability Resource Services?

    Any student with a physical, sensory, diagnosed learning disability, AD/HD, a psychological disability or is a veteran with wounded warrior status is eligible for accommodations through Disability Resource Services.

    What information do I need to provide to DRS in order to receive accommodations?

    Any student who requests accommodations through DRS will have to provide documentation of their disability. Typically we ask that documentation is no more than three years old. Documentation can be in the form of an evaluation report from your school psychologist, a report from your physician, psychologist or psychiatrist. Please refer to the section labeled Eligibility Criteria on the left menu bar for further details on documentation guidelines.

    What is the first step in the accommodation process?

    The first thing you need to do is obtain a copy of your documentation of your disability. Please note that accommodations will not be granted to any student through the DRS office until documentation has been received by DRS. Once you have a copy, or have a copy sent to our office, you can call DRS at 608.785.6900 and set up an appointment to meet with an advisor for an initial meeting.

    I think I may have a disability, but I’m not sure. Does your office provide evaluations?

    DRS does not provide evaluations for disabilities. If you believe you may have a disability, it is always a good idea to check with your insurance company to see if you are covered for an evaluation. If you are not covered, the School Psychology graduate students on campus, along with their director Dr. Rob Dixon, will complete a thorough evaluation for a fee of $300and send a copy of your report to DRS with your written permission. If you are interested, please contact Dr. Dixon at 608.785.8441 to schedule a time.

    What laws protect college students with disabilities?

    College students are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

    Will my transcripts indicate that I used accommodations as a student while attending UW-La Crosse?

    No, your transcripts will never show that you were a student with a disability that used accommodations through DRS. All information provided to DRS remains confidential unless you sign written permission for us to share that information.