34th Faculty Senate

Vol. 34, No. 9

February 3, 2000

 

I. Roll Call.

Present: Bange, Barmore, Duquette, Grant, Heim, Hench, S. Kelly, Kraemer, R. LeDocq, Majak, Monte, Nyatepe-Coo, Prucha, D. Riley, R. Sullivan, P. Taylor, Vogt, Voiku, Wingate

Excused: L. Nelson, VanVoorhis

II. Approval of Minutes. The minutes of the December 2, 1999, meeting were approved as distributed.

III. Reports.

A.  Chancellor’s Report:  Chancellor Kuipers reported that over 100 people attended a very successful legislative reception in Madison. She briefly mentioned several other items. First of all, our new enrollment plan, EM 21, will likely result in a modest reduction of the number of students at UW-La Crosse. Secondly, the pay plan has finally been approved. She also commented that the Senate becomes ever more important in the future. With the new enrollment plan, UW-La Crosse will continue to work with new technology to reach out to returning adult students. These additional courses will be offered in the "business model." The Chancellor also mentioned that she circulated UW-La Crosse's Journal of Undergraduate Research to the Board of Regents to high regard. The Chancellor also tried to dispel a rumor that started after her remarks at her opening meeting of the semester. She explained that although we will redefine our goals for the next 10 years, we would not go through the original strategic planning process again. The Chancellor asked people involved in the many faculty searches to document any case where people turn us down due to salary or lack of support for teaching and research. They are trying to put together a "graying of the faculty" DIN. Finally, she mentioned that Roger Harring is stepping down as head coach of UW-La Crosse football. The Chancellor spoke highly of Harring's accomplishments and his willingness to continue to help with raising private funds to help with renovation of the athletic facilities.

B.  Provost/Vice Chancellor’s Report:  There was no Provost/Vice Chancellor's report.
 
C.  Chair/Faculty Representative's Report: Chair Bange brought to the senators' attention two documents provided for their information. These were the recommendations on the budget initiatives from the Student Senate and the Academic Staff Council. The Chair also mentioned that committee request forms will be sent out soon. Chris Prucha will be convening the Committee on Faculty Committees.

Chair Bange then informed the Senate that he will be out of town next Thursday and Friday. The faculty representatives meeting is on Thursday and on Friday a group of faculty reps will be
meeting with the outgoing and incoming presidents of the Board of Regents. This is the first time such a meeting has been held, but Chair Bange hopes that it will become an annual event. The faculty reps set the agenda for the meeting. The Chair will report back to the Senate on what was discussed at the meetings.

Finally, the Chair informed the Senate on the main parts of the agenda for the next Senate meeting on February 17th. Carol McCoy, Chair of the Scholarship and Awards Committee, will inform the Senate on the state of scholarships at UW-La Crosse. Glenn Knowles, Chair of the Academic Program Review Committee, will report back to the Senate on the committee's progress. Finally, Barry Clark, Chair of the Promotion, Tenure and Salary Committee, will report back to the Senate on the committee's work on the issue of salary compression.
 
IV. Appointment of a replacement to the Academic Priorities Committee.

M/S/P (by voice vote) to approve the appointment of Audie Olson (Foreign Languages) to replace Isolina Battistozzi (Foreign Languages) on the Academic Priorities Committee for the remainder of the year.

V. Elimination of the Continuing Education and Extension Committee.

Helen Skala, Chair of the Articles and By-laws Committee, and Don Campbell, Director of Continuing Education and Extension, were available for questions. The Articles and By-laws Committee was charged to look at the recommendation to eliminate the Continuing Education and Extension Committee.

Chair Bange indicated that this would be considered a second reading since the 33rd Senate approved it as a first reading. Chair Bange asked Don Campbell, Continuing Education and Extension, to give the Senate his views on this recommendation. Don indicated that he is comfortable with the recommendation. He indicated that all credit-bearing courses go through the regular curricular review process. As indicated in the report from Articles and By-laws, there may occasionally be a need to review a non-credit course. In this case, the issue could be brought to the SEC.  Based on the issue the SEC could refer it to an appropriate committee.

M/S/P (by show of hands) to approve the recommendation to eliminate the Continuing Education and Extension Committee.  (Second Reading)

(The entire section H. The Continuing Education and Extension Committee should be removed from the Faculty By-laws and subsequent committees be relabeled from H. Faculty Development Committee to X. Undergraduate Research Committee.)

VI. Proposal for the Reorganization of the Divisions of Student Development and Academic Services.

Provost/Vice Chancellor Hastad gave the Senate some background on the proposed reorganization.  Since the retirements of Dale Montgomery, Academic Services, and Tom Hood, Student Development/Student Affairs, it was decided to merge the two divisions and appoint an interim Dean of Student Development and Academic Services. This merger would eliminate the need for one administrative position.  P/VC Hastad indicated that this is how we are operating right now and the units seem to be working quite well. There may be some question of placement of certain units.

M/S/P (by show of hands) to endorse the merger of the divisions of Student Development and Academic Services.

VII. A proposal on Graduate Faculty Status for Retired Faculty and Academic Staff.

Graduate Faculty Membership for Retired Faculty and Academic Staff
Upon recommendation of their department/unit head and college dean, retired members of the Graduate Faculty who will contribute special expertise to a graduate program (by teaching, supervising clinical internships, and/or serving as members of theses, seminar papers, graduate projects, or comprehensive examination committees) may be approved as associate graduate faculty members by the Graduate Council.  If a faculty member retires with years remaining on an existing Graduate Faculty appointment (full or associate), the remaining years will carry over at the associate level.  Appointments of retirees to the Graduate Faculty can be made whether or not the retiree is employed by the university or volunteering.  Application must be made to the Graduate Council and criteria cited in the Graduate Faculty policy must be addressed.  All UW-System and UW-L policies regarding employment of retired faculty apply.  This policy is effective as of July 1, 2000.

It was mentioned that the process involved in being granted graduate faculty status is quite cumbersome. A question was asked concerning who decides if a faculty member is qualified to teach a graduate course. Chair Bange responded that although North Central expects some mechanism to designate graduate faculty in order to assure quality, the specific procedures, forms, etc. are local. He suggests taking any issues with the process directly to the Graduate Council.

There was a brief discussion as to why academic staff are included in the graduate faculty process. Chair Bange indicated that this is a much bigger issue than the proposal currently before the Senate.

M/S/P (by show of hands) to approve the proposal on Graduate Faculty status for retired faculty and academic staff.

VIII. The State of Murphy Library - a Report from the Chair of the Library Committee.

Gerry Cox, Chair of the Library Committee, and Anita Evans, Director of Murphy Library, joined the Senate. A Report from the Library Committee, including information on where the Library DIN dollars were spent was provided to the senators.

As indicated in their report, Gerry Cox informed the Senate that that Library Committee has been quite active. They are currently working on a faculty survey and a Library Committee web page. The committee wrote a letter to the governor to thank him for his support on the Library DIN. Gerry then asked Anita to talk more about the DIN.

Anita stated that the state of the library is really good this year and they have added some wonderful new staff members. She informed the Senate that this is the first library DIN in 10 years. The DIN was for $7.4 million (they originally asked for $12 million). Some of these dollars will be kept at System, but we will benefit from them. Specifically, these dollars will be used for improved document delivery service (5 days a week rather than the current 3 days a week for UW-La Crosse) that will speed up interlibrary loan and electronic databases that will be accessible to all campuses in the System. UW-La Crosse will receive a $96,895 base budget increase for the library in each year of the biennium. These dollars will be spent to fund monographs for new and expanding programs, increase department allocations, increase spending on diversity materials and help cover inflation for books and periodicals. Funds will also be used for database services and access and to add to the video collections. Anita also informed the Senate that they have had an active effort for the Library Endowment. They just surpassed $200,000 and are able to use some of these funds as well.

The floor was then opened up for questions. The main item of discussion was journals. It was noted that as we continue to hire more new faculty, there would likely be a need for new journals. Anita indicated that they are trying to improve the process by which they determine which journals to order or cancel by getting information from departments in the spring. The library usually needs to put in its main orders in July.

It was suggested that faculty might consider donating journals to the library once they are through with them. It was then pointed out that many journals specifically require that journals purchased by an individual NOT be placed in a library at any time.

A question was then asked concerning online journals. Currently only a small percentage of journals exist only online. Most are still available in paper also. An issue with online journal subscriptions concerns what happens to the old issues if you no longer subscribe online...are they lost to you? Anita indicated that although there has been some discussion of archiving, this issue has not yet been resolved.

It was then suggested that the process for journal purchases might need to be reconsidered now with the number of new faculty being hired. There are inequities between departments. Changes have happened slowly in the past and this won't work well now with the rapid turnover of faculty.

Finally, a suggestion was made that the library hold an annual open house so faculty can visit with the staff without feeling they are interrupting their work.

Chair Bange and the Senate thanked Gerry and Anita for coming.

IX. Discussion of an Issue Raised by the Faculty Development Committee Regarding Sabbaticals and Faculty Development Grants.

Pat Wilder, Chair of the Faculty Development Committee, joined the Senate. The main issue concerns the ranking of sabbaticals and faculty development leaves. Each year the committee must decide whether to rank the proposals together or separately and whether faculty development funds should be used to fund quality sabbaticals that the deans cannot afford. There is a lot of overlap in the criteria for the sabbaticals and the faculty development leaves, so it is not always clear. The committee is willing to put in the time and effort to write criteria and procedures to clarify this issue if the Senate feels this is appropriate. One suggestion that the committee came up with was to have sabbaticals due before the faculty development leave proposals. This way faculty would know whether their sabbatical would be funded, and if not they could then resubmit the proposal (if appropriate) as a faculty development leave.

The floor was then opened up to the senators for comments and questions. Several senators have been on the Faculty Development Committee in the past and indicated that the problem is a consistent one. Each year the committee spends time deciding how the proposals should be reviewed. There are no guidelines in place to help with this process.

Discussion focused on the issues of the clarity (or lack thereof) of the guidelines for sabbaticals and faculty development grants, and funding issues. Sabbaticals are funded by the college deans, while faculty development grants are funded by faculty development funds.

M/S/P (by show of hands) Proposals for sabbaticals should be reviewed and ranked within the colleges and not by the Faculty Development Committee.

It was mentioned that we may still want to consider the timing of the proposals so that people not receiving a sabbatical could in some cases still resubmit for a faculty development leave. Chair Bange also indicated that this motion might require some language change in the bylaws. He will take care of these changes.

X. Old Business.   There was no old business.

XI. New Business.   There was no new business.

XII. Adjournment.  The meeting adjourned at approximately 5:10 p.m.

Rebecca Lewin LeDocq, Secretary