General Education Assessment
IntroductionThe General Education Assessment Committee (GEAC) was established as an ad-hoc group in Spring 2008 by Faculty Senate. The GEAC's primary charge was to develop and implement assessment policies, procedures and tools for evaluation of the General Education Program at UW-L. After a three-year review of the committees roles and activities, Faculty Senate established the GEAC as a standing committee in the Fall of 2010.
Prior to the 2010-2011 Academic Year, each course included in the General Education program was required to be assessed annually. The General Education Committee has approved a new assessment schedule that now requires each course included in the General Education program to be assessed only once during every three year cycle. This academic year, 2011-2012, starts the first three year cycle. The new policy, established by the General Education Committee in their 2010-2011 year end report, is copied below. This policy urges departments to focus on under-assessed SLO's which are listed in point #3 of page 2 of the year end report. For the sake of brevity, this list is not copied but can be obtained from GEC.GEAC has developed a three phase process for managing the assessment of general education courses. For each course included in the General Education program, the controlling department or program is responsible for developing and documenting an assessment tool (Form A), for documenting and reporting their analysis and results after application of the tool (Form B), for making modifications to the course, documenting these modifications and reporting the modifications (Form C). An outline of this process is listed below.
- Form A: Due on October 1
- Department selects a single SLO to assess
- Department defines a task to assess the SLO
- Department defines a rubric to classify students with respect to the SLO based on their performance on the task
- These items are documented for purposes of General Education Program Assessment by submission to GEAC on Form A
- Department coordinates instructors to assign the task to all students in all sections of the course
- Department uses the rubric to classify students performance on the task
- Deparment analyzes the results and indicates whether changes to curricula, pedagogy, assessment task, or assessment rubric are warranted
- These items are documented for purposes of General Education Program Assessment by submission to GEAC on Form B
- Department documents any changes that were actually made to curricula, pedagogy, assessment task or assessment rubric as the result of analyzing and discussin assessment results. This document must directly address the items included on Form B and is submitted to GEAC on Form C.
- https://www.cs.uwlax.edu:8443/GEA/. This is the URL of the submission system. It is secure.
- How to submit assessment forms. This is a user guide for using the submission web site.
- GEAC Policies and Procedures
- How GEAC evaluates Form A. This describes the criteria and internal process that GEAC uses to evaluate an assessment task and rubric.
- Approved Student Learning Outcomes
- General Education Assessment Committee