Committee on Academic Policies and Practices (CAPS)
MINUTES of Meeting - Friday, March 30, 2001
Present: Scott Cooper, Dianne Morrison, Bob Hoar, Rob Wolf, and Gubbi Sudhakaran
Absent: Carolyn Barber, Jerry Davis, Steven Mottl, Dennis Provencher, Barry Schockmel, and Kristin Thompson
Consultants: Chris Bakkum, Carla
Burkhardt, Amelia Dittman, Theda Holder, Sandy Keller, Marcia Johnson-Sage,
1. Meeting was called to order at 1:00 p.m. by the committee chair Rob Wolf.
2. M/S/P by a vote of 5-0-0 to approve the minutes of the February 23, 2001 meeting.
3. M/S/P by a vote of 5-0-0: Appeal of Student A to be allowed to complete final twelve credits at UW-Madison.
4. M/S/P by a vote of 4-1-0: Appeal of Student B to readmit for the Fall 01 semester.
5. M/S/P by a vote of 4-1-0: Appeal of Student C to be allowed to complete last 12 credits at the College of Lake County in Illinois.
6. The last item on the agenda was the dropping/withdrawing from J and Summer term classes. The current policy states that J-Term students have 3/4 of the term (2 days) to withdraw from school and the withdrawal does not count against the total of 4 allowable drops. Several committee members argued that when a student withdraws from a J-term course (after 2 days) it should be considered as a drop and must count towards the total of 4 allowable drops. Some committee members argued that this policy may hurt students because the very nature of the J-term courses (2-3 weeks) does not give enough time to drop the course, and supported the current policy.
A motion was made by Hoar to [to give students one week to drop a course from J and Summer (including May) terms without counting as a]
J and Summer (including May) term students have 1 week to withdraw from a course and the withdrawal does not count against the total of 4 allowable drops. Any course dropped after 1 week will count as a W. This motion was seconded by S. Cooper. The motion passed 3-2-0
All the consultants present at the meeting expressed their opinion not to change the current policy.
Meeting ended at 2:50 p.m.
Respectfully Submitted by Gubbi Sudhakaran.