Undergraduate Research Committee
February 5, 2001

The first meeting of the Spring Semester 2001 for the Undergraduate Research Committee began at 5:30 p.m. Monday, February 5.

Present: Lloyd Bogart, Anne Galbraith, Bill Gresens, Aaron Monte, Rick Rodrick, and Chia-Chen Yu.

Rick brought the meeting to order and announced that this was the only time that all committee members could attend. Meetings will occur every other week on Mondays at 5:30 p.m., to include Feb. 19, Mar. 5, Mar. 19, Apr. 2, Apr. 16, and Apr. 30. Special meeting times will be set up later to review grant proposals.

Bill discussed the latest information about NCUR in Kentucky and the UW-System Symposium in Eau Claire. There were 26 students and 6 faculty signed up to attend NCUR as of today's deadline and a bus has been contracted for the trip. The deadline for the symposium is this Friday and currently there are 6 students registered. It was discussed that this wasn't a bad number given the fact that the symposium is being held in the middle of the week late in the semester. Assuming that not too many more applications come in this week, a university car or van will be rented to take these students to Eau Claire in April.

Aaron discussed the Student Academic Initiative for which a forum will be held this Wednesday, Feb. 7th. The proposal consists of a 5% tuition differential increase that would be used strictly for academic programs for students at UW-L. This would amount to about $65 per student per semester and would generate nearly a million dollars. This money would be earmarked to support programs such as undergraduate research, international studies, diversity, the first year student experience, general honors, and/or technical enhancements. If the initiative passes, a committee consisting of both students and faculty would be set up to oversee the allocation of these dollars. Needless to say, this would be an incredible boon to the life of the undergraduate research program.

The public relations items that were discussed in the fall were brought up again and Rick suggested that we be ready to attack the brochure and web page at the next meeting. Rick and Aaron also explained that a group of CST462 students will be doing a senior project this semester to design a campaign to enhance and promote undergraduate research on campus. Aaron and the students have set up a tentative meeting time to touch base at 1 p.m. on THURSDAYs. Aaron will ask OTHER COMMITTEE MEMBERS WHO ARE FREE AT THAT TIME to assist in being points of contact for this student group.

Rick will set up another roundtable discussion of the grants program sometime within the next 2-3 weeks.

Planning for the Celebration of UG Research and Creativity is underway. Bill has rooms reserved in Cartwright for April 6 and the evening before (for practice). Aaron will send the application form to Rick to be updated and sent out to faculty and to prospective student presenters. More planning will occur as the day approaches…

Rick will find out if there are any other events going on that week that could be cross-marketed with the day, such as art exhibits, plays, concerts, etc.

The deadline for UG research grant proposals is March 21.

Meeting ended at 6:30 p.m.
Submitted Tuesday, February 06, 2001 by Anne M. Galbraith.