Friday, September 14, 2001, 7:30 a.m.
Room 2076 Health Sciences Consortium
Present: Curtis Czerwinski, Carla Graham, Peggy Martin, Carol McCoy,
Helen Skala, Carlos Soneira, Haixia Wang
Absent: Paul Keaton, Curtis Reithel
Consultant: Akorlie Nyatepe-Coo
1) The meeting was called to order at 7:30 A. M. Convener Carol McCoy solicited nominations for a committee chair, but none were offered, so McCoy agreed to be chair.
2) It was agreed that committee members would rotate secretary duties alphabetically for each meeting beginning with Czerwinski for the current meeting.
3) McCoy outlined the committee charge:
a.) Two to four committee members will review each self-study provided by programs under review in AY 2001-2002. Only programs with a 7-year cycle are being reviewed. These are: Biology, Foreign Language, Microbiology, Exercise Sports Science: fitness emphasis, Exercise Sports Science: sports management emphasis, Exercise Sports Science: graduate program/human performance, Exercise Sports Science: graduate program/adult fitness.
Music, previously scheduled for review this year, is no longer included on this list. The external accreditation process for Music is still not completed so Provost Rada recommended their program review be delayed one additional year.
b.) The committee is to ensure that the academic programs scheduled for review in AY2002-2003 are sufficiently informed of all new policies and procedures so that they may complete their required self-studies on schedule.
c.) The committee is to add any new majors or programs to the calendar for review.
d.) The committee will determine which academic support programs should be reviewed and establish guidelines for those reviews.
4) McCoy described the APR Committee calendar and the format for APR self-study reports. Two to four committee members will be assigned to review each program’s self-study and provide a final report to the faculty senate. Each committee member is assigned to two programs as follows:
Biology: Soneira, Skala, Czerwinski, McCoy
Foreign language: Wang, Czerwinski, Graham
Microbiology: Soneira, McCoy, Reithel
Ess: fitness emphasis: Martin, Keaton
Ess: sports management emphasis: Graham, Reithel
Ess: graduate program/human performance: Wang, Keaton
Ess: graduate program/adult fitness: Skala, Martin
5) As a group the committee will meet in October with representatives from English, Math, Philosophy, Sociology/Archaeology, and International Studies, all of which are to be reviewed in AY 2002-2003, to discuss the program review process, the self-study report, and the role of the external consultant. This meeting, which will be the next meeting of the APR Committee, was tentatively scheduled for Friday, October 12 at 7:30 A. M. (alternate date Thursday, October 11 at 4:00 P. M.)
6) The meeting was adjourned at 8:16 A. M.
Curtis J. Czerwinski