Minutes-October 29, 2001-1:15 p.m.
327 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: T. Davis, (Student Rep.), D. Duquette, Chair, C. Graham, T. Kernozek, L. Oganowski, T. Uphoff, G. Walsko
Members Excused: G. Gilmore, K. Harbst, T. Krueger
Members Absent: G. Arimond
Consultants Present: M. Anderson. J. Finch, K. McLean, D. Schumacher, C. Martin-Stanley
Dan Duquette, Chair, called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m.
1. Graduate Faculty Membership update.
a-The number of applicants applying for renewal/new membership was given and discussed. Hand-outs were given on Procedures and Policy of Graduate
b-The process to be used in addressing the Faculty Senate charge was discussed. Dan informed the council members he had met with the Associate Deans, and they will gather information, discuss the need for Graduate Faculty, if it should be continued and the process/procedures of Graduate Faculty.
2. The following people will be reviewers for the Graduate Student Research applications:
Dan Duquette3. Dan gave an update on the student appeal that was heard at the meeting of October 12th.
4. Catalog front matter review: Dan handed out Grad Catalogs at the October 12th meeting, and ask the council members to review pages 5-31. If they observed errors or items that need to be included to make a note and return to Dan.
5. Update regarding EM-21: Enrollment Management 21 (EM-21), Dan informed the council of the numbers, (FTE-Fall 2001 142, target for next fall will be limited to145). At the present time there are 320 FTE, 309 PTE, 3 new graduate programs will be added, O.T., P.A., T.A. This item was opened for discussion.
6. Role of graduate education at UW-L: Questions that need to be discussed, 1-What is the role of grad education at UW-L? 2-What is the direction of programs/colleges? 3-Strengths and weakness of graduate education at UW-L?
Meeting adjourned: 11:20 a.m.
cc: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Council File
Faculty Senate Office
Graduate Program Directors