Minutes: February 28, 2003 - Committee on Academic Policies and Standards (CAPS)
Members Present: Scott Cooper, Mike Haupert, Sharon Jessee, Marc Rott, Joyce Shanks, Rob Wolf, Tana Mann, and Nick Osborne
Members Excused: Al Bigel (may not have received notification), Lise Graham, and Bruce Riley
Members Absent: Sarah Shillinger
Consultants/Guests: Carla Burkhardt, Guy Herling, June Reinert, Amelia Dittman, Kathy Elgin, Tim Lewis and Diane Schumacher
1. The meeting was called to order at 1:22 by chairperson Scott Cooper.
2. The minutes from the previous meeting (1/22/03) were approved (7-0-0) as amended.
3. Tim Lewis from UW-L Admissions presented a draft of the fall 2004 Admissions Guidelines. After discussion, a motion was passed to approve the guidelines (7/0/0).
4. June Reinert, Director of UW-L Disabilities Resource Services, presented a proposal to accommodate students with a documented disability by reducing the course load required to maintain full-time student status. After discussion, the committee passed a motion to approve the proposal (8/0/0) with the following two changes:
Item 6 of the procedure was modified to read “At the agreed upon credit load (at least 9 credits) the student will be considered full time and entitled to all of the services, benefits, rights and privileges of full time status provided by UW-L.”
A distribution list will be added to the Reduced Load Approval Form.
5. Diane Schumacher of Records and Registration presented a Proposed Re-entry Priority Plan for the fall of 2003. The proposal was discussed. This was not a formal proposal, merely informational and no action was taken.
6. Diane Schumacher of Records and Registration presented data on the number of students who had greater than the limit of four dropped. This was in response to the third charge from the Faculty Senate last semester. The data was broken down by semester over the last four semesters and also separately noted the number of students each semester with cumulative drops of 5-11. After a discussion we decided that the current policy was working and no action was taken. The chair agreed to write to the chair of the Faculty Senate to communicate the specifics of our discussion.
7. The committee received a request from the chair of the Faculty Senate to review the GPA retention standards currently in effect. The committee had a first reading of the proposal and will reach a decision at the next meeting.
8. The committee received a request from Michelle Tyvoll, Director of the English as a Second Language Institute, to examine a proposal to include failing grades in all ESL courses in determining students’ standing at UW-L. The committee had a first reading of the proposal and will reach a decision at the next meeting.
9. The meeting was adjourned at 3:00 p.m. Our next meeting will be at 1:10 pm on March 28.
Marc A. Rott, Secretary