International Education Committee

Committee Meeting Minutes

February 5, 2003

                                                           

Present: Jonathan Majak, Chair: Gary Gilmore, Don Kuderer, S.N. Rajagopal, Sharon Scherwitz

 

Absent: Sarah Johnston- Rodrig ,Mehmet Aritan(excused), Drew Stapleton (excused).

 

Ex-Officio Members: Eric Kraemer, Jay Lokken, Lisa Swayhoover

 

Guest: Lisbeth Reynertson

 

Call to Order: Jonathan Majak called meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.

 

1. Minutes of Dec. 4, 2002 meeting were approved as corrected.

 

2. Reports: 

    Jay Lokken:

 

  • SEVIS, National database for tracking international students is fully implemented.
  • Lisbeth Reynertson explained the workings of the SEVIS system and the type of information that the department has to keep track of to meet the INS requirements.

 

    Eric Kraemer:

 

  • Dennis Provencher will teach International Studies Course previously taught by Harry Gardner.
  • There was discussion about implementing one credit orientation course for students going abroad this summer.

3. Chair informed the committee that two proposals for New Study Tour have been submitted.

 

The proposals will be discussed at the next meeting scheduled for Wednesday, February 19, 2003. Chair will invite the proposers to attend this meeting and make presentation of their proposals. In the mean time, Chair will ask the authors of the proposal entitled “Adventure Recreation/Tourism Planning for People with Disabilities” for a budget form and CV for the people involved.

 

4. Old Business:

 

Chair requested the sub-committee comprising Don Kuderer, Sharon Scherwitz and Lisa Swayhoover to develop guidelines, application materials including budget forms for   International Study Tour programs. This work needs to be done before the end of this academic year.

 

 

5. New Business:

 

International Education Committee, currently, comprises of 9 faculty members representing all collages, 1 academic staff representative and 3 students. At present, however, there is no representation from the academic staff and the student body. Faculty Senate committee on Articles and By-laws wants input on the Committee composition. Jay Lokken agreed to check with Academic Staff Council and Student body regarding their opinion about the representation on this committee.

 

6. Meeting adjourned at 5:00 pm

 

Respectfully submitted

 

S.N. Rajagopal