Committee on Academic Policies and Standards (CAPS)
Approved Minutes for 1/21/04
Faculty Members Present: Jac Bulk, Susan Crutchfield, Sharon Jessee, Mike Haupert (after 1:00), Mark Headington, Adrienne Loh, Marc Rott, Barry Schockmel, Rob Wolf
Student Members Present: Larry Golba, Jason Savatski (after 1:00)
Members Absent:, Angie Murphy
Guests/Consultants: Carla Burkhardt (SAH), Amelia Dittman (CBA), Chris Bakkum (CLS), Kathy Elgin (CLS), Tim Walls (CLS), Laura Mitchell (CLS), Guy Herling (HPER), Sandy Keller (TE), Diane Schumacher (Registrar)
1. The meeting was called to order at 8:05 am.
2. Minutes from the 1/21/04 meeting were approved with editorial changes (6/0/0).
3. The Committee heard an appeal of change of grade policy (no change after 1.5 years) from CLS. A standing motion was made to approve the appeal:
Student #1 Approved 7-0-0
4. Item (old business): 4+4+4 plan for summer sessions.
Draft of recommendation to faculty senate was discussed and some changes suggested. A new version of the recommendation will be revisited later in the meeting.
5. Motion (Wolf): Go into closed session (seconded by Loh). A roll call vote was taken. Motion carries 7/0/0.
6. The Committee heard appeals of academic ineligibility from CLS:
Student #2 Approved 5-2-2
Student #3 Denied 1-6-2
Student #4 Denied 0-8-1 (student did not appear)
7. The Committee heard an appeal of academic ineligibility from HPER:
Student #5 Denied 0-8-1 (student did not appear)
8. The Committee heard appeals of academic ineligibility from TE:
Student #6 Approved 5-1-3
Student #7 Approved 8-0-1
9. Committee recessed at 12:05 pm, reconvened at 1:10 pm.
10. Motion (Headington): Go into closed session (seconded by Wolf). A roll call vote was taken. Motion carries 8/0/0.
11. The Committee heard appeals of academic ineligibility from CBA:
Student #8 Approved 7-1-2
Student #9 Denied 0-9-2
Student #10 Denied 0-6-5
Student #11 Denied 1-9-1
Student #12 Denied 0-10-1
Student #13 Denied 0-9-2
12. The Committee heard appeals of academic ineligibility from SAH:
Student #14 Approved 8-1-2
Student #15 Approved 6-1-4
Student #16 Denied 1-8-1
Student #17 Denied 0-7-3
Student #18 Denied 0-8-2
13. Item (old business): 4+4+4 plan for summer sessions.
Minor editorial changes were made to the new version of the draft of the recommendation letter to faculty senate.
Motion (second) to approve the recommendation as written in the letter to faculty senate: Carries 7-2-0.
14. The meeting was adjourned at 6:10 pm.
Respectfully submitted, Adrienne Loh