International Education Committee
March 5, 2004
Cartwright Center Room 330
Present: Don Kuderer (chair), Ashley Burrowes, Georges Cravins, April Handtke (Academic Stadd Representative), Jenny Hill (Student Association Representative), Patricia Nelson, S. N. Rajagopal
Excused: Jeff Bryan, Kent Koppelman, Nancy Navar
Consultants present: Lisa Swayhoover (OIE), Eric Kraemer (INS)
I. Meeting was called to order by Chair Kuderer at 12:10 pm.
II. Introductions, Kudos and Welcome
III. Approval of the Minutes
M/S/P to approve the February 20th meeting minutes with slight revisions/ corrections.
A. Office of International Education—Lisa Swayhoover provided the following information:
· Recruitment fairs and trips in Asia have been successful.
· OIE received a grade of A+ for meeting Department of Homeland Security requirements
· There have been some difficulties in communicating with alumni overseas (for example, invitations to recruitment fairs came back due to addressing problems). She would like the alumni association to take over keeping track of these people and to utilize this pool of individuals in recruitment and fundraising efforts.
· She raised concerns regarding the communication of procedures regarding approval of proposals of study abroad programs. Some discussion pertaining to the Mexico trip (Spring Break 2005) and India (summer 2005) ensued.
B. International Studies Curriculum—Eric Kraemer provided the following information:
· Courses are moving forward. The status and future of programs in Africa in particular was discussed.
C. New Business—Ashley Burrowes updated the committee on his proposed international study tour in Sweden.
V. Next meeting will be in Room 330 of Cartwright Center at 12:05 pm on Friday, March 26th, 2004.
VI. M/S/P to adjourn at 1:10 pm.
Submitted by Patricia Nelson