International Education Committee
Meeting Minutes for April 23, 2004
263 Cartwright Center
Present: D. Kuderer (Chair), J. Bryan, A. Handtke (Acad. Staff Rep.), N. Navar, P. Nelson, S. N. Rajagopal, Hong Rost (OIE, Consultant)
Excused: A. Burrowes, K. Koppelman, J. Hill (Student Assoc. Rep.), J. Lokken (OIE, Consultant), L. Swayhoover (OIE, Consultant), E. Kraemer (INS, Consultant)
Absent: G. Cravins
- The meeting was called to order by Chair Kuderer at 12:25 pm.
- Approval of April 2 Meeting Minutes. Several changes were made to the minutes of the meeting held on April 2, 2004, to provide more detail.
M/S/P to approve the minutes of the meeting, as amended, held on April 2, 2004.
- OIE Report. Hong Rost suggested that it might be beneficial to try to promote international opportunities among the faculty. At the same time, these faculty could learn to more effectively plan and propose new international opportunities. Discussion ensued as to how best to accomplish this. The consensus was to try to be a part of the annual Research Day activities held during the week before Fall semester classes begin. A subcommittee consisting of interested committee members available this summer will look into putting something together for the next Research Day.
- Old Business. A recent survey of students from international experiences indicated that at least some of these students feel a lack of support upon return. It was clear from the discussion that some departments do more for these students than others. It was suggested that proposals for new international experiences include some plan for returning students. It was also suggested to investigate whether the registrar’s class lists could be modified to indicate whether a student has had an international experience.
- The meeting was adjourned at 1:02 pm.
Jeff C. Bryan