Faculty Senate Library Committee
13 February 2004
In attendance: Tim Gerber, Chair (Biology), Gwen Achenreiner (Marketing), William Barillas (English), Paul Beck (Murphy Library), Scott Dickmeyer (Communication Studies), Glenn Knowles (Economics), Karl Kattchee (Mathematics), Darlene Lake (Modern Languages), Susan 'Boon' Murray (Therapeutic Recreation), Beth Seebach (Psychology), Elisabeth Peyer (Student Representative)
Consultant: Anita Evans (Library)
Visitors: Stefan Smith (Library)
Excused: Cynthia Berlin (Geography), Denis Provencher (Modern Languages)
The meeting was called to order at 3:00 p.m.
- The committee chair excused absent members and noted that committee members' schedule conflicts leave no block of time when everyone will attend. Therefore, meeting times will be alternated.
- The committee approved the December meeting minutes (9/0/0/ approval).
- Evans announced that Faculty Senate is attempting to manage workload by reducing committee size. As of next academic year, this committee will be reduced from 12 to 9 members. However, wide representation has benefited the committee in the past so this change should be monitored.
- Gerber reminded members that departments may request house calls to explain library services and information relevant to their disciplines which was useful in his department.
- Stefan Smith distributed an informal survey asking committee members to respond as a representative sample to four questions regarding faculty training and publicity communications. Faculty discussed responses to the questionnaire and most gave Smith written comments during the meeting. Smith noted that the library is planning to send department-specific e-mails once yearly outlining critical changes in information related to that department. Discussion about best times for walk-in workshops included a recommendation to focus on first and second weeks of fall classes rather than the week prior to classes, and to expect greater participation in fall versus spring semesters. Also, e-mail notifications with clear subject headings seem to be effective.
- Ken Frazier, Director of UW-Madison Libraries, will be scheduled to speak either April 2nd (first preference) or March 26th (second preference) from 2:00-3:00 p.m. Refreshments will be served. Speaker confirmation will be coordinated by Gerber and Evans.
- Evans reported on increased funding for staffing approved by Faculty Senate to address budget cuts that compromise Library services in J-Term, May Term and Summer Terms.
- A campus-wide survey LibQUAL will be distributed in April.
- Evans distributed book fair vouchers for the Murphy Library/Barnes and Noble Book fair 9:00a.m. – 11:00p.m. Tuesday, February 17th and encouraged members to attend. Additional vouchers are available at: www.uwlax.edu/murphylibrary/voucher.html
Adjourned at 4:00 p.m.
Susan "BOON" Murray, RMTR