September 13, 2004
TO: Adrianne Loh, Chair
Academic Policies & Standards Committee (CAPS)
FROM: Bruce Riley, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for 2004-2005 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Committee on Academic Policies & Standards for the 2004-05 academic year. As the chair of CAPS, it is your responsibility to promptly provide the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership. Regarding the latter item, the committee chairperson should carefully review the policies on committee attendance and the role of alternates on pgs. 10-11, of the 8-27-01 Articles & By-laws materials distributed by Jennifer Wilson's office. Following recent practice, we are asking that the committee secretaries e-mail the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers, ( firstname.lastname@example.org) so that the minutes can be quickly posted at the Senate Web site. At the end of the academic year, the committee chair should submit a report on the activities of CAPS for that year.
The duties and responsibilities of this committee shall include:
1. Formulating and reviewing local policies and standards concerning admissions, advising, retention, advanced standing, probation, dismissal, readmission, the grading system, and graduation honors for undergraduate students.
2. Ensuring equitable application of standards by the undergraduate schools and colleges.
3. Supervising the administration of these standards and formulating procedures for hearing student appeals and petitions on academic matters not resolved by administrative offices of the university.
Membership of the committee shall consist of nine faculty members and three students. The director of admissions (Kathy Kiefer) and the registrar (Diane Schumacher) shall serve as an administrative consultant for the committee. The chancellor shall select an additional administrative consultant for the committee. The committee shall elect its chairperson.
In addition to the committee's normal duties, I ask that the committee consider and report on the following special charges:
- Report on the Fall 2004 enrollment: Determine if enrollment targets were met and review the admissions standards used in the selection of the cohort.
- Review enrollment targets and admission standards for Fall 2005.
- Establish a working relationship with the Chancellor’s Enrollment Management Taskforce by holding a joint meeting(s) to identify common areas of concerns/responsibilities and pursuing collaborative work in these areas.
Instead of target dates for receipt of reports, I propose to ask each chair to talk with me in order to schedule dates for the Senate to review the results of these charges. If you have questions or concerns regarding these charges, please contact me at any time during the year.
Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.