September 13, 2004
TO: Becky LeDocq, Convener
Faculty Development Committee
FROM: Bruce Riley, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for 2004-2005 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Faculty Development Committee for the 2004-05 academic year. As the convener of the Committee, it is your responsibility to arrange, as soon as feasible, an organizational meeting, the primary purpose of which is to elect a chairperson and a secretary. Please share this memo with the committee members either at the organizational meeting or, if you prefer, prior to that meeting.
Each faculty committee is expected to promptly provide the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership. Regarding the latter item, the committee chairperson should carefully review the policies on committee attendance and the role of alternates on pgs. 10-11, of the 8-27-01 Articles & By-laws materials distributed by Jennifer Wilson's office. Following recent practice, we are asking that the committee secretaries e-mail the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers, ( email@example.com) so that the minutes can be quickly posted at the Senate Web site. At the end of the academic year, the committee chair should submit a report on the activities of the Faculty Development Committee for that year.
The duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include the following, with the exception of faculty sabbatical leave proposals:
- Initiating, developing, and implementing programs concerned with improvement of instruction and faculty development.
- Establishing priorities for faculty development and improvement of instruction programs.
- Establishing written screening and selection procedures, and providing guidelines for proposals related to improvement of instruction and faculty development.
- Reviewing, screening, and selecting for funding, proposals which are related to improvement of instruction and faculty development.
- Providing the UW-L Foundation with the names of committee faculty members as a list of nominees from which the Foundation may select advisory members for its Grants and Review committee.
Membership of the committee shall consist of the current UW-L administrative representative of OPID (Bill Cerbin), the current UW-L faculty representative of OPID (Donna Anderson), and nine other faculty members. Faculty and academic staff with faculty status who submit proposals during a given year shall not be members of the committee during that year.
Committee members are reminded that the Faculty Development Committee no longer has a role in the review or awarding of sabbaticals. (Sabbaticals are now handled internally by the individual colleges.)
In addition to the committee’s normal duties, I ask that the committee consider and report on the following special charge:
- Report, during the fall of 2004, on the resources committed to supporting faculty development at the university (including university-wide and college programs, international education/scholarship programs, and programs supported by the UW-L Foundation).
- Also report on the resources committed to, and the effectiveness of, positions intended to support faculty in curriculum development and research projects (for example, the coordinator of the Instructional Technology Learning Center, the campus grant writer, et cetera).
If you have questions or concerns regarding the charge, please contact me at any time during the year.
Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.