GRADUATE COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
Friday, November 19, 2004-9:55 a.m.
325 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: R. Rada, Chair, C. Angell, R. Dixon, B. Erickson (Student Rep.)
T. Krueger, D. Reineke, A. Rotar (Student Rep.), W. Schwan,
T. Staloch, D. Sutherland, M. Thorman, and I. Wilson (Student Rep.)
Members Excused: T. Blumentritt, S. Simpson
Consultants B. May, D. Schumacher, C. Martin-Stanley, G. Arimond and
Present: K. Mc Lean
Others Present: D. Swanson
The meeting was called to order at 9:59 a.m. by Ron Rada, Chair.
- Approval of the minutes of November 5, 2004.
M/S/P to approve the minutes of November 5, 2004. (10 yes, 0 no)
- The Graduate Student Organization has not been active the last two years; Ian Wilson (Student Rep.) and Larry Ringgenberg (director, Student Activities) are working to rejuvenate the GSO. They have requested assistance from the Graduate Council to help recruit members. Ron asked that council members work within their colleges to encourage students to become active participants.
- Professional Graduate Travel funds are depleted for this fiscal year. Ron is exploring sources of additional funding.
- Graduate Student Research Grants: Twenty-seven applications have been submitted for consideration (~$15,000 requested). The reviewers are Dave Reineke (Chair), Tracie Blumentritt, and Steve Simpson. Grant money comes is obtained from Graduate Studies (1/3), Provost (1/3); and from the college in which the student is enrolled (1/3).
· Doug Swanson reported that he is working with Rob Dixon and George Arimond on forming 3 focus groups. The focus groups will be the initial step in assessment of needs of graduate students.
· A hand-out was distributed with the names of focus group nominees, with the dates the student will be available to meet. Dates for focus groups are November 29, November 30, and December 2. Doug will select students for specific focus groups and will then distribute the information to Grad Council members.
Meeting Adjourned: 11:05 a.m.
C: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Council File