GRADUATE COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
Friday, March 4, 2005-10:00 a.m.
325 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: R. Rada (chair), T. Blummentritt, R. Dixon, T. Krueger, D. Reineke,
W. Schwan, S. Simpson,. Sutherland, A. Von Dollen (student rep.),
Ian Wilson (student rep.)
Members Excused: C. Angell T. Staloch, M. Thorman,
Consultants Present: G. Arimond, B. May, D. Schumacher
Consultants Absent: C. Martin-Stanley, K. Mc Lean
- The meeting was called to order at 10:05 a.m.
- A motion was made, seconded, and passed to approve the minutes of the 2/25/05 meeting (8 yes, 0 no, 0 abstaining).
- Graduate Council will not meet on March 18, but WILL MEET on March 25.
- Ron Rochon (Learning Communities director) met with the Council to speak about learning communities, especially on how the culture, language, etc. of the learning communities are different from those of the traditional graduate programs. The Council asked Dr. Rochon to develop a plan for use of Academic Initiative resources and to present the plan to the Council in late April—Dr. Rochon agreed to develop a plan and to present it at the Council.
The plan likely will include the elements of research/service and travel/professional development. The learning community program is to explore what it would take (and if it is possible) to integrate their needs into those of existing grant programs of Graduate Studies/Graduate Council. Further, it is to examine timing with regard to awarding grants. There is strong sentiment in the Graduate Council that the learning community plan should integrate as much as possible into existing programs and that the learning communities need to develop a culture of belonging to the UW-L and its graduate programs.
- GSO report. The chair and Ian Wilson (president, GSO) reported the first meeting of the GSO leadership team occurred on 5/3/05 and that the discussion was very productive. Discussion included how better communication can be developed (orientation, web site, etc.) and how to best use Academic Initiative resources to serve graduate students. Ian will distribute minutes of the meeting to the GSO and Graduate Council.
- The chair presented a Summary of Student Funding Considerations (see draft attachment, which includes actions of the Council during the rest of the meeting).
- A motion was made, seconded, and
passed to (1) divide the $46,293 for Research/Service grants equally among
the four funding periods and (2) redistribute any resources not awarded in
any period among ensuing periods (6 yes, 0 no, 0 abstaining).
- A motion was made, seconded, and passed to hold back 10% ($2,920) of the Academic Initiatives resources set aside for learning communities to be used for other/future considerations (6 yes, 0 no, 0 abstaining). This action is parallel to that of holding back 10% of the A. I. resources for traditional graduate students.
Meeting adjourned: 11:10 a.m.
c: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Council File