GRADUATE COUNCIL MINUTES
April 29, 2005-10:00 a.m.
325 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: T. Blumentritt, R. Dixon, T. Krueger, D. Reineke,
W. Schwan, D. Sutherland, A. Von Dollen (Student Rep.)
Members Excused: R. Rada, S. Simpson, T. Staloch, and M. Thorman
Members Absent: C. Angell and I. Wilson (Student Rep.)
Consultants Present: B. May and C. Martin-Stanley
Consultants Excused: G. Arimond, K. Mc Lean, and D. Schumacher
1. The meeting was called to order at 10:00 a.m. by Rob Dixon, Acting Chair.
2. A motion was made, seconded and passed to approve the minutes of
April 22, 2005. (6 yes, 0 no, 0 abstaining)
3. Rob announced that the appeals process for academic dismissal will be on
the next agenda, May 6, 2005.
4. Student B’s request to override the 6-credit policy: Both Student B and advisor/mentor Tom Volk
was unable to attend the meeting. Dan Sutherland spoke on Student B’s behalf. Dan informed the
council that a waiver of the 6 credit rule to allow for application of 9 graduate credits (taken as an
undergraduate) to Student B's graduate program would allow the student to complete an MS degree
with little waste of time in the student's undergraduate days.
A motion was made, seconded and passed to approve a waiver of the 6 credit rule
for Student B. (6 yes, 0 no, 0 abstaining)
5. Graduate Faculty Membership: A faculty member had applied for Graduate Faculty
Membership, the application was reviewed, a motion was made, seconded and
passed to seek further information. (6 yes, 4 no, 0 abstaining) The information was
submitted to the council and a motion was made, seconded and passed to approve
for Associate Membership. (6 yes, 0 no, 0 abstaining)
6. Research Grants: Three proposals were submitted, two research and one service grant. Graduate
Research Grant Reviewers Dave Reineke, Tracie Blumentritt, and Steve Simpson recommended
that all three proposals receive full funding. A motion was made, seconded and passed to approve
full funding of the three proposals. (6 yes, 0 no, 0 abstaining)
7. Thesis Common Pages: Rob gave an update on the process of the subcommittee
working on common pages for thesis guidelines. The order of the front pages
should be Title Page, Approval Page, Abstract, Acknowledgements (optional), Table
of Contents, List of Table, and List of Figures. (Please see handouts given at
the April 15th meeting.) Motion was made, seconded and passed to approve the
Thesis Common Pages. (6 yes, 0 no 0 abstaining)
8. Mobile computing/e-university was briefly discussed and will be on a future agenda.
A motion was made, seconded and passed to adjourn the Graduate Council Meeting at
c: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Council File