UW-La Crosse Academic Program Review
Wednesday, April 5, 2006
Members present: Georges Cravins, Curt Czerwinski, Carla Graham, Mike Hoffman, Paul Keaton, Gary Konas, Haixia Lan,
Consultant: Betsy Morgan
Guest: Richard Sullivan
Meeting was convened at 8:00 a.m.
- Subcommittee reports
- Georges summarized the APR review of English, and Richard Sullivan, Chair of the English Department, participated in the discussion. The review was ready for the Senate meeting on Thursday, April 6, 2006.
- Carla summarized the review of Education, and the review was ready for the Senate’s meeting on Thursday, April 13, 2006.
- Gary and Curt reported on the progress of the reviews of Physics and International Studies, and the reviews would be ready for the Senate’s meeting on Thursday, May 4, 2006.
- Revision of the format of APR self-study report
Betsy explained a draft of the revision that which was distributed to committee members prior to the meeting. The committee members discussed the draft, added back the “most significant area for improvement” to the self-study, included the dean’s summary letter as an item in appendixes, and unanimously passed the revision. (See attachment)
3. Discussion of the reviews
The self-study by School Health Education/Health Promotion (undergraduate) with the Dean’s summary letter had just arrived. Mike, the chair of the subcommittee, would see if the subcommittee could review and report to the Senate on May 4, 2006.
Theatre Arts and Music had arrived at the Dean’s office, but the committee decided that there would not be enough time for APR to review and present the reviews to the Senate on its meeting of May 4, 2006.
- Preparation for report to the Senate
Haixia explained that Carmen Wilson, the chair of the Senate, had notified APR that subcommittees make four items available to the Senate before the Senate meetings where APR reports would be discussed, the items including the Dean’s letter, the external reviewer’s report, the APR Review, and the program’s response to the Review.
- Next Meeting Date
The APR committee might meet one more time this semester to discuss some possible revisions of the APR review format. For instance, we could consider whether to add a mid-cycle follow-up (3 years after the APR Review). There was not a fixed date set for it yet.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:55 am.