Committee on Academic Policies and Standards (CAPS)
Minutes for February 3, 2006
Members Present: Cary, Headington, LeDocq, Loh, Putnam, Wehrs
Members Excused: MacDonald, Hoar
Members Absent: Bulk, Stroud
Consultants/Guests: Dittman, Schumacher
1. Meeting called to order at 3:38 p.m. in 325 Graff Main Hall by Chair Loh; Wehrs appointed secretary for the meeting.
2. M/S to approve CAPS minutes from 12/9/05 – the motion was tabled.
3. M/S/P (5-0-1) to approve CAPS minutes from 1/18/06 and 1/20/06 with minor amendments.
4. The committee renewed its examination of continuing/non-returning student data that was begun at its meeting of November 18th. The discussion focused on detailed data related to an increase in the proportion of non-returning juniors that began in 1997.
5. The committee renewed its examination of fall 2005 enrollment data (target vs. actual) which was begun at its meeting of September 30th. This discussion focused on the relationship between three sets of factors as they interact to influence the academic quality of the education received by UW-L students both currently and in the near future. These factors are:
- higher freshman enrollment targets,
- an increase in the number of transfer students when freshman targets are not met, and
- a static academic infrastructure.
Chair Loh will draft a report to the faculty senate that summarizes the committee’s observations and includes recommendations. This draft will be reviewed by the committee at the next meeting.
6. Chair Loh briefly reviewed the concept of a Holistic admissions policy and indicated that the committee would be involved with the development of a UW-L policy. This new admissions policy has two components; a public face and an internal process.
The meeting adjourned at 5:35 p.m.
William Wehrs, Rotating Secretary
Approved 6/0/2 at the Feb. 10, 2006 meeting