Committee on Academic Policies and Standards (CAPS)
Minutes for March 24, 2006 Draft
Members Present: Bulk, Cary, Headington, LeDocq, Loh, Putnam, Stroud, Wehrs
Members Excused: Hoar, MacDonald
Consultants: Kiefer, Shumacher
1. Meeting called to order at 3:35 p.m. by Chair Loh; Cary appointed secretary for this meeting.
2. M/S/P (7/0/0) to approve CAPS minutes from 2/24/06.
3. Chair Loh updated the committee on her presentation of the 2004-2005 CAPS report to Faculty Senate. There were four motions in that report that went before Faculty Senate. (See 2004-2005 CAPS report and Faculty Senate Minutes for full motions.)
- The first, regarding enrollment targets delivery to Admissions by Oct. 1, was passed.
- The second was approved with amendment, such that transfer students must have completed 18 credits minimum or have a high school record that qualifies as Priority 1.
- The third motion, that non-resident students be subject to the same admission standards used for other incoming freshman, failed.
- The fourth, that non-resident targets be re-evaluated, was tabled.
4. The committee continued discussion of the draft 2005-2006 report to Faculty Senate. Included in the discussion was consideration of current and past faculty and student FTE data from the Faculty Budget Review Committee.
5. M/S/P (6/0/1) CAPS recommends that freshman scholarships be increased to bring more students of diverse backgrounds and talents to UW-L who meet the Priority 1 and Priority 2 admissions criteria.
6. M/S/P (7/0/0) CAPS recommends that a task force be established to determine how to best improve the academic success of transfer and Priority 3 students.
7. M/S/P (7/0/0) CAPS recommends that non-resident status does not itself warrant Priority 3 admissions consideration.
8. Meeting adjourned at 5:10 p.m.
Melanie Cary, Rotating Secretary