August 26, 2005
TO: Adrienne Loh, Convener
Academic Policies & Standards Committee (CAPS)
FROM: Carmen Wilson, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for 2005-2006 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Committee on Academic Policies & Standards for the 2005-06 academic year. As the convener of CAPS, it is your responsibility to arrange as soon as feasible an organizational meeting, the primary purpose of which is to elect a chairperson and a secretary. Please share this memo with the committee members either at the organizational meeting or, if you prefer, prior to that meting.
Primary responsibilities of the chairperson include:
o promptly informing the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership.*
o organizing and conducting meetings.
o completing a year end report on the CAPS activities to be submitted to the Senate Office no later than May 31, 2006.
*The committee chairperson should carefully review the policies on committee attendance and the role of alternates on pgs. 10-11, of the 8-27-01 Articles & By-laws materials distributed by Jennifer Wilson's office.
Primary responsibilities of the secretary include:
o recording minutes of each meeting.
o sending meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers (email@example.com) so that the minutes can be posted on the faculty senate website.
In the event the committee chooses to rotate secretarial duties, please designate one person to be responsible for e-mailing the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers. Sibbie has already created an email distribution list of committee members which includes Sibbie to facilitate communication with faculty senate.
The duties and responsibilities of this committee shall include:
- Formulating and reviewing local policies and standards concerning admissions, advising, retention, advanced standing, probation, dismissal, readmission, the grading system, and graduation honors for undergraduate students.
- Ensuring equitable application of standards by the undergraduate schools and colleges.
- Supervising the administration of these standards and formulating procedures for hearing student appeals and petitions on academic matters not resolved by administrative offices of the university.
Membership of the committee shall consist of nine faculty members and three students. The director of admissions (Kathy Kiefer) and the registrar (Diane Schumacher) shall serve as administrative consultants for the committee. The chancellor shall select an additional administrative consultant for the committee. The committee shall elect its chairperson.
In addition to the committee's normal duties, I ask that the committee consider and report on the following special charges:
· Based on CAPS 2005 report, continue to investigate trends in re-entry student enrollment (e.g. investigate differences among college, majors, demographic characteristics, etc.).
· Report on the Fall 2005 admissions standards used in the selection of the cohort as well as academic demographics of incoming class (e.g. High School G.P.A, ACT scores, etc.)
· Review enrollment targets and admission standards for Fall 2006.
Please plan to submit a report on the revised guidelines to faculty senate no later than November 10, 2005. If you have questions or concerns regarding these charges, please contact me at any time during the year.
Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.