August 26, 2005
TO: Paul Miller, Convener
Undergraduate Curriculum Committee (UCC)
FROM: Carmen Wilson, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for 2005-2006 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee for the 2005-06 academic year. As the convener of the UCC it is your responsibility to arrange as soon as feasible an organizational meeting, the primary purpose of which is to elect a chairperson and a secretary. Please share this memo with the committee members either at the organizational meeting or, if you prefer, prior to that meeting.
Primary responsibilities of the chairperson include:
o promptly informing the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership.*
o organizing and conducting meetings.
o completing a year end report on the UCC activities to be submitted to the Senate Office no later than May 31, 2006.
*The committee chairperson should carefully review the policies on committee attendance and the role of alternates on pgs. 10-11, of the 8-27-01 Articles & By-laws materials distributed by Jennifer Wilson's office.
Primary responsibilities of the secretary include:
o recording minutes of each meeting.
o sending meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that the minutes can be posted on the faculty senate website.
In the event the committee chooses to rotate secretarial duties, please designate one person to be responsible for e-mailing the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers. Sibbie has already created an e-mail distribution list of committee members which includes Sibbie to facilitate communication with faculty senate.
Duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include:
- Determining curricula for students in the various academic programs.
- Receiving proposals for all undergraduate curricular changes from the various academic departments.
- Initiating, developing and recommending changes in the design of curriculum for experimental and research purposes.
- Informing department chairpersons, in writing, of proposals being considered that relate to experimental curricula or their programs, thus providing adequate opportunity for departments to be heard prior to committee and senate action on such proposals.
- Evaluating curriculum proposals by a hierarchical set of criteria, taking into consideration the needs of students and of society, the mission of the university, the necessity for quality programs, and the ability of the department and college to meet the resource needs of the proposal.
- Coordinating the various curricula through formal consultation with the academic departments.
- Publishing the agenda of regularly scheduled meetings in the university newsletter.
- Authorizing substitutions or waivers for individual students.
Membership of the committee shall consist of nine faculty members none of whom shall have any designated administrative responsibility, and three students. The faculty membership shall include at least three representatives from the College of Liberal Studies; two representatives from the College of Science and Allied Health; and one representative from each of the following academic units: the College of Business Administration, the College of Education, Exercise Science, Health and Recreation. The Committee on Faculty Committees shall rotate representation with respect to departments and schools, and so far as possible shall provide alternates for each appointed member. The provost/vice chancellor, registrar, director of the library and academic deans shall serve as administrative consultants to the committee. The committee shall elect its chair.
Although no special charge is being given to the committee this year, should the membership wish to bring any policy issues to the attention of the senate, it should certainly do so. Any recommendations that the committee would like to make to the senate should be submitted to our office in a timely fashion.
Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.