GRADUATE COUNCIL MEETING
Friday, December 02, 2005-10:00 a.m.
325 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: VJ Agarwal, (Chair), George Arimond, Tracie Blumentritt,
Rob Dixon, (Co-chair), Tom Krueger, Tom Kuffel
Yang II Park, Steve Simpson, Dan Sutherland,
Michele Thorman, Tiffany Rausch (Student Rep.)
Members Excused: Kasi Periyasamy
Members Absent: Andrea Von Dollen (Student Rep.)
Consultants Present: Bruce May, Charles Martin-Stanley, Karen Mc Lean,
Diane Schumacher, Teri Staloch
Others Present: David Waters, Graduate Student (appealing academic dismissal)
1. The meeting was called to order at 10:03 a.m. by Rob Dixon.
2. A motion was made, seconded and passed to approve the minutes of November 18, 2005.
3. Graduate Student Grant Proposals: The reviewers will be meeting Friday
December 2, 2005 to finalize grant proposals. In order to send the letters in a timely manner to the students, VJ proposed to the council that applications receiving approval by all three reviewers be sent letters immediately. Applications that were not approved by all reviewers or approved for a partial grant would be presented to the Graduate Council at the December 16th meeting. The consensus of the Graduate Council was to send letters to the applicants that have been approved by all reviewers.
4. Thesis Committee: It has been suggested that a thesis committee should preferably include one member outside the department. This was briefly discussed. Some council members showed concern having a person from outside the department. This will be further discussed at a future meeting.
5. Appeal by SAH/Sport Administration student. A roll call vote was taken and the Council went into closed session as
provided in sections 19.85 (1) (F) of Wisconsin. After a brief overview from the student and the Director of Sport
Administration, the Council members asked questions and clarifications from the student and graduate program
director. This lasted for more than 40 minutes. At this point, the student and graduate program director were excused.
This was followed by a lengthy discussion on the appeal by the Grad Council. A motion was made and seconded to
approve the appeal to send back to the department for further consideration. The motion did not pass (8 no, 1
abstention). At this point another motion was made, seconded and passed to dismiss the student from the Sport
Administration Program. (8 yes, 1 abstention).
Meeting adjourned: 11:40 a.m.
C: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Council File