GRADUATE COUNCIL MINUTES
Friday, April 07, 2006-10:00 a.m.
133 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: VJ Agarwal, George Arimond, Tracie Blumentritt, Rob Dixon, Thomas Krueger, Tom Kuffel, Tiffany
Rausch, Steve Simpson, Michelle Thorman
Members Excused: Yang II Park, Dan Sutherland
Members Absent: Kasi Periyasamy
Consultants Present: Bruce May, Diane Schumacher, Traci Staloch
Consultants Absent: Charles Martin-Stanley, Karen Mc Lean
1. The meeting was called to order at 10:04 a.m. by Rob Dixon.
2. A motion was made, seconded and passed to approve the minutes for March 24, 2006. (8 yes, 0 no)
3. On behalf of the Thesis Committee, Tom Kuffel, Betsy Morgan, Tiffany Rausch, VJ Agarwal and Bill Schwan. Tom
Kuffel reported that he and the committee reviewed and discussed the three thesis submitted for the Graduate Thesis
Award, and informed the council all three submissions were excellent. After a discussion the committee unanimously
agreed the Graduate Thesis Award will be presented to Kelsea Jewell, Biology, Advisor Tom Volk.
A motion was made, seconded and passed to present the Graduate Thesis Award to Kelsea Jewell. (8 yes, 0 no)
4. Graduate Appeal. Michelle Thorman reported the graduate appeal scheduled for April 14th will be handled as a grade
appeal, therefore the Graduate Council will not be involved at this point.
5. VJ informed the Graduate Council that the meeting scheduled for April 14th is cancelled.
April 21: The Grad Council will review the Graduate Faculty Applications.
April 28: Grant guidelines will be reviewed and a possible appeal will be heard; this may be the last meeting of the
6. Becky Brey, Microbiology had earlier submitted a Graduate Student Research, Service, and Educational Leadership
Grant Application, Spring 2006. The grant was not approved for the following reasons: (1) The synopsis was not
included and (2) her budget was in question. She requested the Grad Council to reconsider her request after making
the necessary corrections. The counsel discussed the situation and a motion was made to approve her revised grant
application including a revised budget. Motion failed.
7. Brian Wallace applied for a Graduate Student Research, Service, and Educational Leadership Grant in Fall 2005, and
was awarded $995. His project will involve some travel to present a paper in a conference, he requested an additional
$600 for travel. Motion made to approve the additional $600 to the grant for travel. Motion passed.
8. Grant Guidelines: The revision of the Grant Guidelines was opened for discussion and several suggestions were put
before the Graduate Council and will be considered by the sub-committee when they meet next week. The sub-
committee will present the revised guidelines at the meeting on April 28th.
9. Graduate Faculty Membership Reviewers were reminded to review files, located in 145 Graff Main Hall in the work
room. Reviewing should be completed by April 14th.
Meeting adjourned: 11:40 a.m.
c: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Council File