Minutes of the Instructional Academic Staff Committee
Friday, January 27, 2006
1:00 – 2:50 Room 116 Cowley Hall
Present: Sue Anglehart, Phil Bice, Kay Dailey, Peggy Denton, Michael Durnin, Kerrie Hoar, Sandy Koster, Don Socha
Absent: Bonnie Bratina
- M/S/A (7,0,0) to approve the minutes from January 20, 2006.
- M/S/A (7,0,0) to approve a correction to the proposed Career Progression Document to define a “full academic year” in order to address those with a semester by semester appointment was made.
- M/S/A (8,0,0) to recommend the Title Series and Career Progression documents be implemented in the Fall 2006 IAS contracts for all current IAS as well as new IAS hires.
- M/S/F (0,8,0) After discussion of the language regarding a workload standard of 15 credits or equivalents provided in the Provost’s proposal a motion to support the language as written failed. A list of concerns over this issue was generated.
- A motion to support a workload range of 12-15 contact hours was made, but then withdrawn.
- M/S/A (8,0,0) to support the statement on workload passed by the JBC was made.
- M/S/A (8,0,0) We support the use of contact hours rather than credit hours and generally support equivalent criteria for reduction of workload, however, we believe more detail is needed.
- M/S/A (8,0,0) The language “renewal is not intended” be removed from the contract language.
- M/S/A (7/0/0) We recommend the utilization of Fixed Term Renewable contracts.
- M/S/A (7/0/0) We recommend tying Multi-Year contract to career progression and/or years of service.
Meeting adjourned at 2:50.