August 25, 2006
TO: Rob Wolf, Convener
Academic Planning Committee
FROM: Carmen Wilson, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for 2006-2007 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Academic Planning Committee for the 2006-07 academic year. Please share this memo with the committee members.
Per Faculty Senate Bylaw II. (s): “Each faculty committee shall hold an organizational meeting and report the name of the chairperson to the senate office by October 1. (Joint Chairpersons are not permitted.)”
Therefore, as the convener of the APC, please arrange, as soon as feasible, an organizational meeting. In addition to a chairperson, please also elect a secretary.
Primary responsibilities of the chairperson include:
o promptly informing the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership.*
o organizing and conducting meetings.
o completing a year end report on the APC activities to be submitted to the Senate Office no later than May 31, 2007.
*The committee chairperson should carefully review Faculty Senate Bylaw II, “Faculty Standing Committees” for information on committee attendance and the role of alternates.
Primary responsibilities of the secretary include:
o recording minutes of each meeting.
o promptly sending meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers (email@example.com) so that the minutes can be posted on the faculty senate website.
In the event the committee chooses to rotate secretarial duties, please designate one person to be responsible for e-mailing the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers.
According to Faculty Senate Bylaw II. A. The Academic Planning Committee, the duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include:
- Maintaining and updating the procedures and criteria used to review proposals for new or revised academic programs. Any changes in procedures or criteria are subject to the approval of the Faculty Senate. The procedures shall provide opportunity for input from those areas of the university that would be affected by the proposed program. The criteria shall take into consideration the needs of students and society, the mission of the university, the necessity for quality academic programs, and the availability of the necessary resources.
- Receiving and reviewing proposals for all new academic programs,
including emphases, concentrations, minors, majors, graduate, and special
programs. Receiving and reviewing proposals for new or revised courses or
for program revisions that have resource needs that cannot be met by the
proposing department and college, or have implications for long-range
- The review shall include consulting with the Chancellor, the Provost/Vice Chancellor and the academic dean of the proposing college regarding the availability of resources within the college to fund the proposal.
- If it is determined that adequate resources are not available within the college, APC shall request that the Provost/Vice Chancellor forward to APC a report detailing available resources in the other academic colleges and in the non-academic units of the university. The Provost/Vice Chancellor shall include recommendations on what available resources might be most appropriately used to fund the proposal.
- The committee shall forward its recommendations to the Faculty
- Formulating long range academic plans and reviewing externally generated academic planning initiatives for recommendation to the Faculty Senate.
- Receiving and reviewing proposals to eliminate or suspend academic programs and forwarding its recommendations to the Faculty Senate.
Although no special charge is being given to the committee this year, should the membership wish to bring any policy issues to the attention of the senate, it should certainly do so. Any recommendations that the committee would like to make to the senate should be submitted to our office in a timely fashion.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact me at any time during the year. Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.