August 25, 2006
TO: Ann Hendricks, Convener
Faculty Development Committee
FROM: Carmen Wilson, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for 2006-2007 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Faculty Development Committee for the 2006-07 academic year. Please share this memo with the committee members.
Per Faculty Senate Bylaw II. (s): “Each faculty committee shall hold an organizational meeting and report the name of the chairperson to the senate office by October 1. (Joint Chairpersons are not permitted.)”
Therefore, as the convener of the Faculty Development Committee, please arrange, as soon as feasible, an organizational meeting. In addition to a chairperson, please also elect a secretary.
Primary responsibilities of the chairperson include:
o promptly informing the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership.*
o organizing and conducting meetings.
o completing a year end report on the Faculty Development Committee activities to be submitted to the Senate Office no later than May 31, 2007.
*The committee chairperson should carefully review Faculty Senate Bylaw II, “Faculty Standing Committees” for information on committee attendance and the role of alternates.
Primary responsibilities of the secretary include:
o recording minutes of each meeting.
o promptly sending meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers (email@example.com) so that the minutes can be posted on the faculty senate website.
In the event the committee chooses to rotate secretarial duties, please designate one person to be responsible for e-mailing the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers.
According to Faculty Senate Bylaw II. G. The Faculty Development Committee, the duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include:
- Initiating, developing, and implementing programs concerned with improvement of instruction and faculty development.
- Establishing priorities for faculty development and improvement of instruction programs.
- Establishing written screening and selection procedures, and providing guidelines for proposals related to improvement of instruction and faculty development.
- Reviewing, screening, and selecting for funding, proposals which are related to improvement of instruction and faculty development.
- Providing the UW-L Foundation with the names of committee faculty members as a list of nominees from which the Foundation may select advisory members for its Grants and Review Committee.
In addition to the committee's normal duties, I ask that the committee consider and report on the following special charge:
- Explore ways to advertise the availability of Faculty Development money to attract more applicants.
Please plan to submit a report on the above charge to faculty senate no later than December 7, 2006. If you have questions or concerns regarding these charges, please contact me at any time during the year.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this charge, please contact me at any time during the year. Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.