August 25, 2006
TO: Pat Di Rocco, Convener
Promotion, Tenure and Salary Committee
FROM: Carmen Wilson, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for 2006-2007 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Promotion, Tenure and Salary Committee for the 2006-07 academic year. Please share this memo with the committee members.
Per Faculty Senate Bylaw II. (s): “Each faculty committee shall hold an organizational meeting and report the name of the chairperson to the senate office by October 1. (Joint Chairpersons are not permitted.)”
Therefore, as the convener of the PTS Committee, please arrange, as soon as feasible, an organizational meeting. In addition to a chairperson, please also elect a secretary.
Primary responsibilities of the chairperson include:
o promptly informing the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership.*
o organizing and conducting meetings.
o completing a year end report on the PTS Committee activities to be submitted to the Senate Office no later than May 31, 2007.
*The committee chairperson should carefully review Faculty Senate Bylaw II, “Faculty Standing Committees” for information on committee attendance and the role of alternates.
Primary responsibilities of the secretary include:
o recording minutes of each meeting.
o promptly sending meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers (email@example.com) so that the minutes can be posted on the faculty senate website.
In the event the committee chooses to rotate secretarial duties, please designate one person to be responsible for e-mailing the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers.
According to Faculty Senate Bylaw II. O. The Promotion, Tenure and Salary Committee, the duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include:
- Studying and recommending policies and procedures used in the university concerning salary, promotion, and tenure.
- Collecting and disseminating information on procedures employed
In addition to the committee's normal duties, I ask that the committee consider and report on the following special charges:
- Investigate departmental procedures for the distribution of merit pay, specifically investigating whether such procedures contribute to salary compression. Include recommendations for the following:
1. At what point should people receive 100% of the merit pay they generate?
2. From where should merit pay come?
You may find it helpful to consult with Ron Lostetter on the history of this charge. Please plan to submit a report to faculty senate on this charge no later than February 1, 2007.
- Audit the faculty promotion and workload issues/concerns identified in the Campus Climate Survey. Consult Deb Hoskins, author of the report, and Beth Hartung, Campus Climate Coordinator, for more information and current practices. Please plan to submit a report to faculty senate on this charge no later than February 1, 2007.
- Investigate the role of department faculty, deans, and the Provost in retention recommendations and decisions. Report on both policy and current practice. Please plan to submit a report on this charge no later than March 22, 2007.
- Investigate and report on college procedures for compensating department chairs. Please include this report and any recommendations in your year-end report.
If you have questions or concerns regarding these charges, please contact me at any time during the year. Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.