August 25, 2006
TO: Galadriel Chilton, Convener
Research and Grants Committee
FROM: Carmen Wilson, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for 2006-2007 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Research and Grants Committee for the 2006-07 academic year. Please share this memo with the committee members.
Per Faculty Senate Bylaw II. (s): “Each faculty committee shall hold an organizational meeting and report the name of the chairperson to the senate office by October 1. (Joint Chairpersons are not permitted.)”
Therefore, as the convener of the Research and Grants Committee, please arrange, as soon as feasible, an organizational meeting. In addition to a chairperson, please also elect a secretary.
Primary responsibilities of the chairperson include:
o promptly informing the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership.*
o organizing and conducting meetings.
o completing a year end report on the Research and Grants Committee activities to be submitted to the Senate Office no later than May 31, 2007.
*The committee chairperson should carefully review Faculty Senate Bylaw II, “Faculty Standing Committees” for information on committee attendance and the role of alternates.
Primary responsibilities of the secretary include:
o recording minutes of each meeting.
o promptly sending meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers (email@example.com) so that the minutes can be posted on the faculty senate website.
In the event the committee chooses to rotate secretarial duties, please designate one person to be responsible for e-mailing the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers.
According to Faculty Senate Bylaw II. P. The Research and Grants Committee, the duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include:
- Establishing written guidelines and screening and selection procedures for research proposals.
- Establishing written procedures for evaluating and ranking research proposals.
- Receiving and evaluating research proposals from members of the faculty.
- Apportioning institutional funds for research.
- Advising the coordinator of gifts and grants in the solicitation of grant monies.
- Providing the UW-L Foundation with a list of committee faculty members from which it may select advisory members for its Grants and Review Committee.
In addition to the committee's normal duties, I ask that the committee consider and report on the following special charge:
- Develop a method to gather final report from grant winners, and create a survey to be given to existing grant-winners in order to track publications and other research products.
Please plan to submit a report on the above charge to faculty senate no later than November 16, 2006. If you have questions or concerns regarding this charge, please contact me at any time during the year.
Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.