Monday, February 5, 2007
325 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: Fields, Johnson, Kraemer, Miller, Prucha, Ragan, Riley, Ritterling, Udermann, Bakke
Consultants Present: Bakkum, Dittman
Guests Present: C. Wilson, J. Hollenbach, D. Sullivan, C. Lee, G. Cravins, B. Krajewski
I. M/S/P to approve the minutes of January 23, 2007
A. Directors Update:
1. Distributed report (Report on Higher Learning Commission Accreditation and Institutional Review of General Education: UW – La Crosse) submitted to the Board of Regents. It was noted that for future reports, the committee would be solicited for input if time allowed for it.
2. E. Johnson also shared the Executive Summary of Assessment in General Education: 1995 - 2006.
3. E. Johnson will be traveling to China and will be looking at curriculum and assisting in developing a 2nd and 3rd year transition.
4. Faculty Senate asked for a progress report to be submitted on February 15, 2007.
5. E. Johnson invited C. Wilson to attend the AAC&U GE conference - March 1-3, Miami as there is an assessment component of the conference.
6. E. Johnson shared a copied document of the NCA criterions from the 2006 campus NCA Report. The timeline and monitoring report was highlighted as a reminder of the focus of the GEC.
B. Chair Update
1. Met with CLS chairs on January 29, 2006.
2. Chuck Lee, History department, shared feedback. His feedback was included as an email attachment to the committee before today’s meeting.
3. Dick Sullivan, English department, shared feedback. His feedback was also included as an email attachment to the committee before today’s meeting.
4. Still waiting to hear back from other departments.
5. E. Johnson and E. Kraemer met with Teri Beck in regard to the writing outcomes
III. Discussion: Where do we go from here?
A. Summary of Committee members comments
1. Each committee shared where he/she stands on the progress made thus far. Attached is a summary of each member’s response at the meeting.
2. An extra meeting will be held on February 12, 2007 at 3:30pm to continue the discussion of the two options presented.
3. More information will be shared via email about the options.
IV. M/S/P to adjourn (5:40 p.m.). Next meeting will be February 12 at 3:30pm in 325 Main Hall