Monday, September 18, 2006
325 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: Fields, Johnson, Kraemer, McDougal, Miller, Prucha, Riley, Ritterling, Udermann, Strand
Consultants Present: Bakkum, Burkhardt, Morgan, Dittman
Guests Present: R. Benson, D. Bufton, J. Hollenback, R. Sullivan, M. Aritan, H. Rashid, C. Lee, S. Wittrock, G. Chu
I. M/S/P (unanimously) to approve the minutes of September 30 and to amend minutes of May 30, 2006 to reflect that R. Sullivan was present as a guest.
II. Announcements: CSDA student Lauren Cikara will support General Education Director for 3-4 hours/week. Will not be able to attend meetings until second semester due to class conflict.
III. Old Business
A. University Core Proposal
1. Global Perspective—Ruthann Benson, chair of the UW-L Task Force on International Education, was present to discuss the Task Force recommendations in regard to General Education.
2. Other Core II discussion points
1. Briefly discussed NCA findings regarding General Education, in particular, assessment of the program
2. Considerable discussion on inclusion of global perspective and how to include in Core.
M/S/P (5/4/0) to add a Global Perspectives category to University Core II with a minimum of 3 credits.
3. Considerable discussion on requiring a world history course.
M/S/P (5/4/0) for HIS 101 or 102 to be a required course in University Core I (first or second year---in first 60 credits)
B. Agreed to have a subcommittee, comprised of Ruthann Benson, Eric Kraemer and Cris Prucha, draft ideas of the criteria for course inclusion in the new Global Studies category in University Core II.
IV. M/S/P to adjourn (5:07 p.m.). Next meeting will be Oct. 2 at 3:30 in 325 Main Hall