GRADUATE COUNCIL MINUTES

Friday, December 1, 2006-10:00 a.m.

325 Graff Main Hall

 

Members Present:    Vijendra Agarwal, Tim Donahue, Jonathan Majak, Yang Il Park, Kasi Periyasamy, S.N. Rajagopal, David Reineke, William Schwan, Steve Simpson,

                                    Teri Staloch

 

Members Excused:  Lauren Cikara, Peggy Denton, Gary Gilmore

 

Consultants Present:  Chris Bakkum, Lise Graham, Diane Schumacher, Rob Tyser

 

Others Present:  Michele Thorman

 

 

1.  The meeting was called to order at 10:02 am. by Bill Schwan

 

2.  A motion was made and seconded to approve the minutes for the November 17, 2006 meeting with one change: remove Tim Donahue from the list of those present.  (10 yes, 0 no, 0 abstention)

 

Motion carried.

 

3.  The Faculty Senate noticed that Bill Schwan was listed as co-chair in the September 8, 2006 minutes.  A motion was made and seconded to approve the change to the minutes and the title for William Schwan from co-chair to vice-chair.  (10 yes, 0 no, 0 abstention)

 

Motion carried.

 

4.  Announcements:

  • RSEL grants:  Students and their faculty advisors need to be aware that they should be inserting acknowledgement language into their published works regarding the source of their funding.  Suggested language will be included in current and future grant award letters and is available from the Graduate Studies office.
  • Steve Simpson brought up the issue of also including information regarding Campus Absence Forms for students traveling with RSEL grant dollars.  These students are on University business and should fill out this form prior to travel.  Graduate Studies will add a link to this form in future award letters if it is required for traveling students.
  • The Council will not need to meet the first week of January to hear academic appeals from Health Professions students.  It is likely the Council will need to meet before the Spring term begins.  A meeting time of 9:00 a.m. on January 17, 2007 has been tentatively set.

  

5.  The Graduate Council received a draft copy of proposed changes to the GRC 799 policy.  The Graduate Council Advisory Committee will review the following issues that arose from the discussion and bring a revised draft to the Graduate Council at a future date.    

  • What is the definition of a “capstone”?
  • Should we make students responsible for continuously registering?
  • What is the policy at peer institutions?
  • How will this work across programs?
  • Effect of the 7 year time limit.
  • Overall consensus:  should be simple and easy to implement. 

 

Meeting adjourned:  11:06 a.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Chandra Hawkins

 

C:         Graduate Council Members

            Department Chairs

            Graduate Program Directors

            Faculty Senate

            Graduate Council File