GRADUATE COUNCIL MINUTES
Friday, December 15, 2006-10:00 a.m.
325 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: Lauren Cikara, Peggy Denton, Tim Donahue, Gary Gilmore, Jonathan Majak, Kasi Periyasamy, S.N. Rajagopal, David Reineke, William Schwan, Steve Simpson, Teri Staloch
Members Excused: Vijendra Agarwal, Yang Il Park
Consultants Present: Chris Bakkum, Lise Graham
Consultants Absent: Diane Schumacher, Rob Tyser
1. The meeting was called to order at 10:01 am. by Bill Schwan
2. A motion was made and seconded to approve the minutes for the December 1, 2006 meeting.
3. Research Day Celebration Announcement:
- Bill Schwan advised the Graduate Council that the Research Day Celebration would be held on March 23, 2007.
- Lauren Cikara and Kasi Periyasamy volunteered to serve on the organizing subcommittee for the Graduate research to be showcased that day.
4. The Graduate Council received recommendations from the RSEL Grant Committee for round 2 of the Fall submissions.
- A motion was made and seconded to approve the 3 applications that the Committee recommended to fund.
- A motion was made and seconded to partially fund proposal #1 for $1200
- A motion was made and seconded to partially fund proposal #2 for $1169.
- A motion was made and seconded to partially fund proposal #3 for $1302.
- A motion was made and seconded to not fund proposal #4.
- All proposal writers who received partial or no funding will be notified in their letters the reason(s) why funding was less than requested or denied.
- The RSEL grant committee requested that an addition be made to the RSEL grant guideline to indicate that boiler plate letters of support are not sufficient. In the future, grant proposals will need strong letters of support to be successful. Strong letters will speak specifically to the study, convey critical information, and when equipment purchases are requested, will address why the department is unable to provide the equipment.
Meeting adjourned: 10:15 a.m.
C: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Council File