GRADUATE COUNCIL MINUTES
Friday, February 16, 2007-10:00 a.m.
325 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: Lauren Cikara, Peggy Denton, Tim Donahue, Gary Gilmore, Jonathan Majak, Kasi Periyasamy, David Reineke, William Schwan, Steve Simpson
Members Excused: Vijendra Agarwal, Yang Il Park, S.N. Rajagopal, Teri Staloch
Consultants Present: Chris Bakkum, Rob Tyser
Consultants Excused: Diane Schumacher
Consultants Absent: Lise Graham
1. The meeting was called to order at 10:00 am. by Bill Schwan
2. A motion was made and seconded to approve the minutes for the December 15, 2006, January 17, 2007, and January 26, 2007 meetings. (8 yes, 0 no, 0 abstention)
3. Professional Travel Funds
- The Graduate Council was provided a listing of the Professional Travel Funds decisions for the December 15th funding cycle.
- A motion was made and seconded to approve the decisions made by the Graduate Council Advisory Committee. (9 yes, 0 no, 0 abstention)
- Thesis Award Nominations are due to the Office of University Graduate Studies on February 23, 2007. Multiple submissions may be made by programs/colleges.
- Academic Achievement Award Nominations are due in the Dean’s Offices on February 23, 2007. SAH and CLS will have 2 awards each; CBA will have 1.
5. Time extension appeal by Science and Health/Community Health Education program candidate. (Maureen Bezold)
- Gary Gilmore, Director of Community Health Education (MS-CHE) program, gave an overview of the appeal. The student is requesting that two business administration courses plus the student’s experience be used in lieu of a core course of her program of study. Graduate Council approval is needed because the courses were taken 20 years ago. The Graduate Council Advisory Committee has endorsed this request. The Council asked questions and clarifications from the graduate program director. A motion was made and seconded to approve the time extension, which allows the 2 courses and experience to substitute for P-H 790, The Council voted to approve the appeal for the extension, with Gary Gilmore abstaining. (8 yes, 0 no, 1 abstention)
6. Graduate Faculty membership policy and criteria changes
- The Council reviewed the proposed changes in the membership policy and criteria changes. Suggestions were made for clarification of the documents, particularly in regards to the criteria differences between full and associate membership status. The comments of the Council will be worked into the documents and a new draft will come before the Council later in the semester.
7. Recruitment draft report for the Faculty Senate
- Lauren Cikara presented the draft report to the Council. As time was short, she invited comments and questions to be sent to her and, if needed, the report could be modified to include those changes.
8. Research Celebration Day
- Lauren Cikara announced that only 13 abstracts had been submitted for research day and more are needed.
Meeting adjourned: 11:02 a.m.
C: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Council File