GRADUATE COUNCIL MINUTES
Monday, August 28, 2006-11:15 a.m.
325 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: Vijendra Agarwal, Peggy Denton, Gary Gilmore, Jonathon Majak, Kasi Periyasamy, S.N. Rajagopal, William Schwan, Steve Simpson, Teri Staloch
Members Excused: Yang II Park
Consultants Present: Chris Bakkum, Bruce May, Diane Schumacher, Rob Tyser
Others Present: Karen Mc Lean, Mary Rathgaber, Graduate Student 1 (appealing academic dismissal)
1. The meeting was called to order at 11:18 am. by Vijendra Agarwal. The Council was in closed session as provided in sections 19.85 (1) (F) of Wisconsin.
2. Academic dismissal appeal by Science and Health/Physician Assistant program student.
- Karen Mc Lean, Student 1 and Mary Rathgaber, the Director of Physician Assistant program gave an overview of the appeal, and the student’s plans for academic improvement. The council asked questions and clarifications from the student and graduate program director. The student and program director were excused. A discussion followed by the Graduate Council, a motion was made by Gary Gilmore to allow the student to return to the program; it was seconded by S.N. Rajagopal. Steve Simpson suggested stipulations that the student obtain a minimum of 3.0 GPA for the Fall 2006 courses and attain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or more by the end of Spring 2007. Gary Gilmore accepted these stipulations as a friendly amendment. The council voted to approve the appeal for the student to continue in the Physician Assistant Program. (9 yes, 0 no, 0 abstention).
3. Time extension appeal by Science and Health/Master of Public Health program student.
- Gary Gilmore, Director of Master of Public Health program, gave an overview of the appeal and the student’s plan for research and thesis completion. The student is requesting a one year extension, through the end of August 2007. However, Program Director Gilmore feels that it is more realistic to grant an extension through the end of the Fall 2007 term. The council asked questions and clarifications from the graduate program director. A motion was made by William Schwan to approve the extension through December 2007. It was seconded by Teri Staloch. As program director, Gary Gilmore indicated he would abstain from the vote. The council voted to approve the appeal for the extension. (8 yes, 0 no, 1 abstention).
4. Time extension appeal by Science and Health/ESS-Sports Administration student.
- Vijendra Agarwal, Director of Graduate Studies, gave a brief overview of the appeal and the student’s plan for thesis completion. The student is requesting that 2 Summer 1997 classes be approved toward completion of her program in Summer 2006. The council wished to hear from the student’s program director, David Waters. He was not present and the issue was tabled until the next meeting of the council.
Meeting adjourned: 11:50 a.m.
C: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Council File