Articles and Bylaws Committee
September 28, 2007
2:30 p.m. - 111 Wimberly Hall
Present: P. Beck, R. Knox, K. Sherony, S. Shillinger. Excused: S. Anglehart
1. K. Sherony was elected chair. (unanimous)
2. Recorder responsibilities will be rotated among committee members. (unanimous)
3. The committee’s two special charges that are due to the Faculty Senate by Oct. 25 were discussed.
a. R. Knox will develop by-law language for the Research and Grants Committee “to inform grant applicants of their award. Applicants who do not receive money shall be given reasons for their denial.”
b. P. Beck will develop by-law language for the General Education Committee to elect its chair.
The committee will consider these proposals at its next meeting.
4. R. Knox informed the Committee that there will be a new charge coming to the
Committee following yesterday’s Faculty Senate Committee meeting. It will involve
developing by-law language for the Committee on Faculty Committees on the
number and representation of faculty on committees, as follows.
a. On Senate committees with 8 or fewer faculty members, no more one member
from any given department may serve.
b. On Senate committees with 9 or fewer faculty members, no more two
members from any given department may serve.
c. The one exception to the above conditions pertains to the Budget Review
committee. Since the Vice-Chair of Faculty Senate becomes a member of the
Joint Planning and Budget Committee after the rest of the membership is
determined, the department affiliation of the Vice-Chair of the Senate will not
affect the eligibility of other members already selected for the committee. If
alternates are selected at a later date, the department affiliation of the Vice-Chair
of the Senate will be considered.
5. The next committee meeting was scheduled for 2:30 p.m. in Room 111 Wimberly Hall, on Friday, October 5.
6. The meeting adjourned at 2:50 p.m.