August 13, 2007
TO: Becky Batista, Convener
Faculty Development Committee
FROM: Carmen Wilson, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for 2007-2008 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Faculty Development Committee for the 2007-08 academic year.
In response to concerns that, frequently, committee member turnover each year tends to slow committee work, the senate executive committee is working to find better ways to orient new committee members. Additionally, we would like to improve the overall efficiency and effectiveness of committee work. To that end, we will be trying several new ideas.
- The Senate Executive Committee will be holding a meeting of conveners at 11:00 a.m. on Monday, August 27 in 325 Graff Main Hall. Please plan on attending this meeting if possible. An agenda will follow.
- The SEC will be holding a meeting of Chairs during the week before classes in January. The purpose of this meeting will be for committee chairs to report on progress on charges to date and discuss any problems committees may be experiencing.
- I am including a copy of the 2006-2007 Faculty Development Committee end-of-year report with this charge letter, as well as a list of last year’s committee members. The SEC strongly encourages you to invite past members to the first committee meeting of the year to review their work in the previous year.
Per Faculty Senate Bylaw II. (s): “Each faculty committee shall hold an organizational meeting and report the name of the chairperson to the senate office by October 1. (Joint Chairpersons are not permitted.)”
Therefore, as the convener of the Faculty Development Committee, please arrange, as soon as feasible, an organizational meeting. In addition to a chairperson, please also elect a secretary.
Primary responsibilities of the chairperson include:
o promptly informing the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership.*
o organizing and conducting meetings.
o completing a year end report on the Faculty Development Committee activities to be submitted to the Senate Office no later than May 31, 2008.
*The committee chairperson should carefully review Faculty Senate Bylaw II, “Faculty Standing Committees” for information on committee attendance and the role of alternates.
Primary responsibilities of the secretary include:
o recording minutes of each meeting.
o promptly sending meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that the minutes can be posted on the faculty senate website.
In the event the committee chooses to rotate secretarial duties, please designate one person to be responsible for e-mailing the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers.
According to Faculty Senate Bylaw II. G. The Faculty Development Committee, the duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include:
- Initiating, developing, and implementing programs concerned with improvement of instruction and faculty development.
- Establishing priorities for faculty development and improvement of instruction programs.
- Establishing written screening and selection procedures, and providing guidelines for proposals related to improvement of instruction and faculty development.
- Reviewing, screening, and selecting for funding, proposals which are related to improvement of instruction and faculty development.
- Providing the UW-L Foundation with the names of committee faculty members as a list of nominees from which the Foundation may select advisory members for its Grants and Review Committee.
In addition to the committee's normal duties, I ask that the committee consider and report on the following special charge:
- Write a plan that outlines how faculty development monies are promoted and advertised to faculty and instructional academic staff to attract the maximum number of quality applicants. The plan should include a procedure to evaluate the effectiveness of the advertising efforts in attracting the maximum number of quality applicants. Please plan to provide a report to faculty senate at the February 21, 2008 meeting.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this charge, please contact me at any time during the year. Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.