August 13, 2007
TO: V.J. Agarwal, Convener
FROM: Carmen Wilson, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for 2007-2008 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Graduate Council for the 2007-08 academic year.
In response to concerns that, frequently, committee member turnover each year tends to slow committee work, the senate executive committee is working to find better ways to orient new committee members. Additionally, we would like to improve the overall efficiency and effectiveness of committee work. To that end, we will be trying several new ideas.
- The Senate Executive Committee will be holding a meeting of conveners at 11:00 a.m. on Monday, August 27 in 325 Graff Main Hall. Please plan on attending this meeting if possible. An agenda will follow.
- The SEC will be holding a meeting of Chairs during the week before classes in January. The purpose of this meeting will be for committee chairs to report on progress on charges to date and discuss any problems committees may be experiencing.
- I am including a copy of the 2006-2007 Graduate Council end-of-year report with this charge letter, as well as a list of last year’s committee members. The SEC strongly encourages you to invite past members to the first committee meeting of the year to review their work in the previous year.
Per Faculty Senate Bylaw II. (s): “Each faculty committee shall hold an organizational meeting and report the name of the chairperson to the senate office by October 1. (Joint Chairpersons are not permitted.)”
Therefore, as the convener of the Graduate Council, please arrange, as soon as feasible, an organizational meeting. In addition to a chairperson, please also elect a secretary.
Primary responsibilities of the chairperson include:
o promptly informing the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership.*
o organizing and conducting meetings.
o completing a year end report on the Graduate Council activities to be submitted to the Senate Office no later than May 31, 2008.
*The committee chairperson should carefully review Faculty Senate Bylaw II, “Faculty Standing Committees” for information on committee attendance and the role of alternates.
Primary responsibilities of the secretary include:
o recording minutes of each meeting.
o promptly sending meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that the minutes can be posted on the faculty senate website.
In the event the committee chooses to rotate secretarial duties, please designate one person to be responsible for e-mailing the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers.
According to Faculty Senate Bylaw II. I. The Graduate Council, the duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include:
- Establishing, in consultation with departments and/or colleges, academic standards pertaining to graduate study, including policies for graduate student admission, honors recognition, retention, probation, dismissal and readmission.
- Determining the procedures and criteria for selecting members of the graduate faculty and annually approving an updated roster of members of the graduate faculty.
- Formulating procedures for hearing graduate student appeals and petitions on academic policy matters not resolved by administrative offices of the university.
- Studying long-range issues related to any aspect of graduate studies and recommending how and by whom these issues should be addressed.
In addition to the committee's normal duties, I ask that the committee consider and report on the following special charge:
· Specify issues faced by graduate students as identified in 2006-2007 committee meeting discussions and the survey of graduate students. Create strategies to implement an action plan to address identified issues. The committee may consider reviewing graduate student policies and practices at similar institutions to help in the creation of these strategies. Please plan to provide a report to faculty senate at the March 6, 2008 meeting.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this charge, please contact me at any time during the year.
Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.