Faculty Senate Library Committee
September 13, 2007, 11:00 a.m., 120 Murphy Library
Present: William Barillas (English), Paul Beck (Library), Barbara Bennie (Mathematics), Linda Dickmeyer (Communications), Anita Evans (Library Director, consultant), Tim Gerber (Biology); Kathleen Lynch (Graduate student representative), Sarah Putnam (Undergraduate student representative), William Ross (Management); Melissa Ruplinger (Undergraduate student representative), Shauna Sallmen (Physics), Chia-Chen Yu (The Chair, Exercise and Sports Science).
Absent: Donald Lacoss (excused -- meeting schedule conflict with teaching).
1. Meeting called to order.
2. The minutes from the May 2006 meeting were approved.
3. Library committee activities for 2006-2007 highlighted:
- Suggestions to deal with issues in library acquisitions
- Request of differential tuition funds for library use
- Discussion of library budget issues
- Murphy’s Mug Grand Opening
- Recommendation for promotion and operation for Murphy’s Mug
- Discussion of the impact of growth and access plan on library services
4. A decision was made that a meeting time of 11:00 a.m. on Thursdays would work well for all of the members present. Donald Lacoss from History Department teaches a class during the meeting time of 11:00 a.m. on Thursdays. The committee suggested a flexible way for Lacoss’ participation in the Library Committee-- serving on subcommittee. Lacoss also agrees to serve on subcommittee.
5. Election of Chair and Secretary. Chia-Chen Yu was elected Chair of the Library Committee for the 2007-2008 academic year. The duty of Secretary will be passed each month. The following members volunteered to do the minutes for the first part of the year:
Chia-Chen Yu - September
Shauna Sallmen - October
Tim Gerber – November
Linda Dickmeyer – December
6. Yu gave an overview of committee Charge for 2007-2008 Academic Year.
n Special charges
· Recommend strategies to deal with rising periodical costs and increased requests of electronic articles.
· Pursue technology fees for additional laptops in Murphy Library.
7. Director’s Report/Announcements from Anita Evans. Highlights included:
n Library Usage: Evans updated the growth of library usage for the 2006-2007 school year.
n Budget concerns
· Cut of student help positions
· Rising costs of periodicals & request of electronic document delivery
n Request of differential tuition funds for library use.
n Possible changes – Move away SS# for library service login. University employee ID might be used for login.
n Library space planning.
n Requesting additional laptops in Murphy Library.
8. Next Meeting: October 11, Thursday, 11:00 a.m., 120 Murphy Library (Randall Hoelzen, Head of Reference and ILL/Document Delivery Services plans to attend)
9. Meeting adjourned.
Respectfully submitted by Chia-Chen Yu