Committee on Academic Policies and Standards (CAPS)
Minutes for October 17, 2008
Members present: S. Anglehart, U. Barquero, J. Boyle, R. Gillis, R. Haro, D. Lake, K. Lefevre, P. Randolph, S. Van Dalsem, J. Shadforth
Members excused: C. Lee
Consultants: C. Bakkum, C. Burkhardt, A. Dittman, M. Evenson, G. Herling, B. Hoar, K Hunt, Betsy Morgan, T. Richter, B. Taylor, Teri Thill, J. Von Ruden, T. Walls
- The meeting was called to order at 3:18 by chair J. Shadforth.
- M/S/P (10,0,0) to approve minutes from August 27, 2008.
- M/S to go into closed session to hear student appeals. By roll call vote, motion passed. For each appeal, the standing motion is to approve the appeal.
- The committee heard appeals to request a waiver to apply a modification of the policy on course repeat from outside institution from one College of Science and Health (SAH) student:
- The meeting moved back into open session.
- M/S/P (9,1,0) to approve the discontinuation of the current 4-course drop policy. Students will be permitted an unlimited number of drops.
- M/S/P (9,0,0) to approve new language for the Retention Standards. The language would reflect total credit number, not number of semesters attended.
- M/S/P (9,0,0) to approve discontinuation of midterm grading reports for general education courses as it exists but to explore better opportunities to keep students informed of when they are at risk.
- Discussion of UW-L’s current Repeat Policy.
10. The meeting was adjourned at 4:58 p.m.
Suzanne Anglehart, Secretary