Meeting of the
Faculty Senate General Education Committee
April 13, 2009
325 Main Hall
Meeting convened at 1:17pm
Members Attending: Michael Current, Anne Galbraith (presiding), Jon Fields, Eric Kraemer, Erik Kahl, Tom Pribek, Cris Prucha, Bob Ragan, Don Sloan
Consultants: Carla Burkhardt, Amelia Dittman, Bob Hoar
Excused: Tom Gendreau
M/S/P, minutes of 3/30/09; voice vote, unanimous
First look at THA 201, course retitled from Honors; official reading will occur when dept. rep is available
Resume SLO review
- some feedback from dept. chairs responding to previous revisions
- some new tinkering & broad questions
1. program/SLO size: every student should achieve all SLO
among variety/abundant number of courses? Should we rather
have focus for everybody (b/c "general" means everyone),
a disclaimer for either, or what?
2. Do SLOs & headings, which were conceived for a new "core"
of different categories, match existing 4 categories?
3. Will attrition (no assessment of particular SLO) naturally
eliminate some objectives?
- Question to instructors: could you find the primary learning outcome in this list? Did you just pick the closest available? Is there an alternative that you could suggest?
- present tinkering will be reflected in next draft
Meeting adjourned at 2:55pm
Notes compiled by T Pribek