GRADUATE COUNCIL MINUTES
Friday, December 5, 2008-10:00 a.m.
325 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: Rob Dixon, Vijendra Agarwal, Kenny Hunt, Glenn Wright, Ashley Olson, S.N. Rajagopal, Tom Kuffel, Bernadette Taylor-Winfrey, Carol Angell, Dave Reineke, Jim Finch
Members Excused: Scott Swedeen, Michele Thorman
Consultants Present: Bruce May, Chris Bakkum, Ray Abhold
Others Present: Lynn Hrabik, Gary Gilmore, Gretchen Berns, Dan Widuch
The meeting was called to order at 10:04 am by Rob Dixon.
1. M/S/P (9-0-0) to approve minutes from the November 7, 2008, meeting.
2. M/S/P (11-0-0) to move into closed session to hear two student appeals for time extensions.
3. M/S/P (11-0-0) to approve a time extension for MPH student XXXX.
4. M/S/P (11-0-0) to approve a time extension for student XXXX.
5. M/S/P (11-0-0) to move the motion regarding XXXX’s time extension appeal from the table to the floor
M/S/P (8-0-1) to approve a time extension for ESS student XXXX
6. M/S/P (8-0-0) to move out of closed session.
7. Discussion on setting specific dates for appeals in the future and minimum time for submission of appeals material
Friday, January 23, 2009, at 10:00 am has been scheduled for the GC to hear student appeals as necessary.
There was also discussion and general agreement about regularly scheduled dates for hearing student appeals in (1) late September/early October, (2) early December, (3) “meeting week” in January, and (4) mid/late May.
8. Discussion on providing feedback on RSEL proposals and Grad Faculty applications
M/S/P (8-0-0) to approve a notification from the Graduate Council, through Dr. Agarwal, to Graduate Faculty applicants requesting feedback; provided that the Wisconsin open meeting laws allow such communication from closed session proceedings.
9. Discussion on Digital submission/publication of theses (time permitting)
Time did not permit such a discussion. This topic will be reserved for a future meeting.
Meeting adjourned: 11:11 a.m.
C: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Council File