GRADUATE COUNCIL MINUTES
Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:00 a.m.
325 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: Rob Dixon, Vijendra Agarwal, Glenn Wright, S.N. Rajagopal, Kasi Periyasamy, Dave Reineke, Jim Finch, Carol Angell, Bernadette Taylor-Winfrey, Ashley Olson, Michele Thorman
Members Excused: Kristin Van Vleet, Tom Kernozek
Consultants Present: Charles Martin-Stanley, Ray Abhold, Bruce May
Others Present: Carla Burkhardt, Sandy Keller, Rhonda Rabbitt, Abdul Elfessi, Jane Erickson, Osama Algaidi
The meeting was called to order at 10:02 am by Rob Dixon.
a. VJ informed the committee that only one Thesis award has been submitted so far asked the Graduate Council about extending the submission deadline by one week, which the council agreed to do.
b. VJ asked for two volunteers from the Graduate Council to sit on the Bologna Accord Subcommittee.
c. VJ made a request for volunteers to judge poster presentations at this year’s Celebration of Student Research and Creativity.
2. Appeal Process
Rob distributed and briefly reviewed a draft of the new Appeal Process flowchart; discussion followed and recommendations were given for the subcommittee to revise the document.
3. M/S/P (11-0-0) to move into closed session to hear two student appeals.
M/S/P (11-0-0) to approve a time extension for MEPD student XXXX.
M/S/F (4-5-0) to find the grade appeal process for MEPD student XXXX to have been appropriate.
M/S/P (7-0-0) to have the MEPD program reconsider the program dismissal for XXXX.
The graduate Council agreed to inform the MEPD program of the reasons for the reconsideration of XXXX’s dismissal from the program:
· Concern about the grade appeal (i.e. the sequence of appeals from both ESS and DES and when the program dismissal was made, the student didn’t attend the grade appeal meeting – but wanted to)
· The course that triggered the dismissal was not required by the program
· The student’s overall gpa is relatively good
· The student is very close to completing the program (needs only 5 more credit hours)
· Because the student is an international student, he/she may not have fully understood his/her rights and privileges as a UW-L graduate student
Meeting adjourned: 11:49 a.m.
C: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Council File