GRADUATE COUNCIL MINUTES
Friday, September 12, 2008-10:00 a.m.
325 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: Vijendra Agarwal, Rob Dixon, Dave Reineke, Glenn Wright, Jim Finch, Carol Angell, S.N. Rajagopal, Michele Thorman
Members Excused: Tom Kuffel, Bernadette Taylor-Winfrey, Ashley Olson
Consultants Present: Chris Bakkum, Bruce May
Others Present: Kathleen Enz-Finken (Provost), Ellie Ahmann (GSO co-chair), Ronda Rabbitt, Joe Tiffany
1. The meeting was called to order at 10:02 am. by Vijendra Agarwal.
2. The Provost was introduced. VJ gave an update to the Provost on the items the Grad Council would be looking at this year.
· Revisiting GRC 799 issue
· Revision of Appeal process
· Electronic submission of theses
· Financial resources for Grad Students (brought up by Rob Dixon)
· Ideas for recruiting Grad Students (Provost)
3. Dual degree issue. Peggy Denton was introduced and she proceeded to explain the program and how it worked. She then explained the problem with students that want to drop out of the Dual Degree program but still want to use the course credits for an undergraduate degree. There was discussion. The following motion was made and seconded:
- “When a student enrolled in the Dual Degree Health Professions Graduate Program decides to drop out of the Graduate Program, the graduate level courses may be counted toward an undergraduate degree with permission of the chair of the department of the undergraduate program on a course by course basis”
(7 yes, 0 no, 0 abstentions)
4. Ellie Ahmann was introduced as the co-chair of the GSO this year. She gave a brief overview of what they planned on accomplishing this year. She did state they were still looking for students for the Curriculum committee.
5. Election of Chair, Vice-Chair, and Secretary
· Chair: Rob Dixon volunteered for the position and was voted by acclamation
· Secretary: Dave Reineke volunteered for the position and was voted by acclamation.
· Vice Chair: Carol Angell volunteered for the position and was voted by acclamation
Meeting adjourned: 11:15 a.m.
C: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Council File