UW-L Faculty Senate Library Committee Meeting
November 18, 2008
In Attendance: Paul Beck (Library), Barb Bennie (Mathematics), Matthew Foltz (Graduate Student Representative), Tim Gerber (Chairperson, Biology), Melissa Klotz (Student Representative), Don Kuderer (Modern Languages), Shauna Sallmen (Physics), William Ross (Management), Stephen McDougal (Political Science/Public Administration)
Excused: Matthew Groshek (Student Representative), Sandra Koster (Chemistry), Lawrence Forkash (Educational Studies)
Consultant: Anita Evans (Murphy Library Director)
1. Meeting called to order at 11:00 am.
2. The minutes of the Oct. 14, 2008 meeting were reviewed. M/S/P/ to approve the minutes (9-0-0).
3. LibQual survey results were presented by John Jax and Stefan Smith
- Murphy Library administered the survey in 2004 and again this year 2008
- The survey measures 3 dimensions: Affect of Service, Informational Control, and Library as Place
- Compares minimum needs and maximum desires with perceived level of service
- Longitudinal analysis is in progress (2004 to 2008 changes)
- For more details see www.uwlax.edu/murphylibrary/libqual/index.html
4. Discussion of the periodical pricing structure at Murphy Library
- John Jax briefly described the great variety in how pricing is determined (FTE’s, Carnegie status, package deals with add-ons, single user versus unlimited user pricing, use based pricing, negotiations, changing structure year to year)
5. A Celebration of Campus Authors: Five Years of Books
- Stefan Smith provided an overview of the event and gave out flyers to distribute
6. Differential tuition update from Anita Evans
- Academic Initiative Oversight Committee currently makes allocation decisions related to differential tuition
- Task force has been formed to look at the new initiatives. The task force members are meeting this Friday (11-21-08) and the library committee has 15 minutes to present and answer questions related to the Murphy Library request for funding.
7. Meeting adjourned at 12:00 pm.
Respectfully submitted by Barb Bennie