Meeting of the Faculty Senate
General Education Committee
325 Main Hall
November 16, 2009
Meeting convened at 3:34pm, Galbraith presiding
Attending: Michael Current, Anne Galbraith, Tom Gendreau, Jean
Hindson, Gerald Iguchi, James Pierce, Tom Pribek, Robert Ragan,
Don Sloan, Kara Zweig
Guests & Consultants: Carla Burkhardt, Chris Bakkum, Troy Richter
M/S/P/, Minutes of 11/2/09, add "in CBA" to 40% requiring
remedial math; passed voice vote, unanimous
- GE website updated to show the 6pt-category breakdown
- Need a charge for GEAC for next year
- Applications arriving for Assessment Co-ordinator position
Discussion of Senate Charge: Tiering Speech, English, & Math
- Minimal dept. response/opposition after original discussion,
about a year ago
- Institutional Research suggests most people are doing it now
- Registrar says note could be placed on Advising Report,
as "advisory" not requirement
- Transfer students might not conform: make it "within first
30 credits in residence"?
- Enforcement: Require advising or restrict registration?
Email warning to affected students?
- Wait a year to see amount of noncompliance before
considering enforcement mechanism?
- Available sections? Speech & English use single course;
Math uses several according to placement & would have to
re-assign instructors to add sections
- Requiring only soph/fresh registration, parallel of
allowing only junior/senior status in some courses? (feasible?)
- GE chair will consult specifically with chairs of the three
- Get data f/IR about current students not complying
- Bump up to 60 credits for "completing"
(AP credits might compel all three classes in single semester)
Meeting adjourned at 4:36!
Notes compiled by Pribek